Temple Israel, 501-503 10th Street South, Minneapolis

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: {{Infobox Building |building_name=Temple Israel |building_number=501 |street=10th |street_suffix=Street |direction=S |building_location=Moorish |city-locality=Minneapolis |county=Hennepin...)
Line 2: Line 2:
|building_name=Temple Israel
|building_name=Temple Israel
|building_number=501
|building_number=501
-
|street=10th  
+
|street=10th
|street_suffix=Street
|street_suffix=Street
|direction=S
|direction=S
Line 16: Line 16:
{{Location}}
{{Location}}
{{AddaMemory}}
{{AddaMemory}}
-
{{Textarea Building}}
+
{{Textarea Building
 +
|house_intro=Designed by the nationally renowned architect, Leroy Buffington, the building included elements of Moorish and “Byzantine revival” style, complete with a large onion dome, slender towers, or “minarets,” and lobed and pointed arches.15
 +
 
 +
Temple Israel (originally named Shaarai Tov) is the Twin Cities oldest synagogue, founded in 1878. Originally, the congregation was meant to serve both Reform and Orthodox Jewish traditions, however, the plan was unsuccessful and it became a Reform congregation. Their first religious building was constructed in 1880, located on Fifth Street between what is now Marquette and Second Avenue South. In 1888, the congregation moved the building to Tenth Street and Fifth Avenue South.16
 +
}}
{{Memory Header}}
{{Memory Header}}
== Photo Gallery ==
== Photo Gallery ==

Revision as of 15:29, December 17, 2017

Edit with form

Temple Israel

Address: 501 10th Street S
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1890
Historic Function: Religious/Place of worship
Architect or source of design: Leroy Buffington

Minneapolis Hennepin


Designed by the nationally renowned architect, Leroy Buffington, the building included elements of Moorish and “Byzantine revival” style, complete with a large onion dome, slender towers, or “minarets,” and lobed and pointed arches.15

Temple Israel (originally named Shaarai Tov) is the Twin Cities oldest synagogue, founded in 1878. Originally, the congregation was meant to serve both Reform and Orthodox Jewish traditions, however, the plan was unsuccessful and it became a Reform congregation. Their first religious building was constructed in 1880, located on Fifth Street between what is now Marquette and Second Avenue South. In 1888, the congregation moved the building to Tenth Street and Fifth Avenue South.16

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

building

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]