Sumner Branch Library, 611 Van White Memorial Boulevard, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 50: Line 50:
[http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/hpc/landmarks/Emerson_Ave_N_611_Sumner_Library.asp Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission: Sumner Branch Library]
[http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/hpc/landmarks/Emerson_Ave_N_611_Sumner_Library.asp Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission: Sumner Branch Library]
 +
 +
[http://www.scotcities.com/carnegie/american.htm Architecture: Carnegie Libraries in Scotland and America]
[http://www.hclib.org/ Hennepin County Libraries]
[http://www.hclib.org/ Hennepin County Libraries]

Revision as of 17:25, December 21, 2009

Edit with form

Sumner Branch Library

Sumner Branch Library, 1940
Sumner Branch Library, 2008
Address: 611 Van White Memorial Boulevard
Neighborhood/s: North, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1915
Primary Style: Tudor Revival
Additions: 1927, 1939, 2004
Moved from Location: 611 Emerson Avenue North
Historic Function: Library
Current Function: Library
Architect or source of design: Cecil Bayless Chapman
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick

North Minneapolis Hennepin County

Sumner Branch Library, 611 Van White Memorial Boulevard, Minneapolis, Minnesota
(44.984628° N, 93.294124° WLatitude: 44°59′4.661″N
Longitude: 93°17′38.846″W
)


Contents


Memories and stories

Building History

The Sumner Library neighborhood branch played a crucial role in the accommodation of new immigrant populations in the early part of the twentieth century. Located on Olson Memorial Parkway, the Sumner Branch was especially helpful to the large influx of Jewish immigrants on the near north side of Minneapolis. A survey conducted during the early years of operation revealed that approximately 95 percent of library card holders were Jewish. As a result, the city’s entire Yiddish and Hebrew collections were placed at Sumner. The vision of Gratia Countryman, the first chief librarian in Minneapolis, to bring residents closer to educational resources was fully realized at the Sumner location. Of the thirteen branch libraries opened during Countryman’s tenure from 1904 to 1936, the Sumner Branch perhaps played the most active role in the community. English courses as well as numerous clubs and social services met at the library. Funded by the Carnegie Corporation, the Tudor Revival style used by architect Cecil Bayless Chapman distinguished the building in the working class neighborhood.

Importance to the North Side Community

The library served as a very important way in which the Jewish Community congregated and came together for one reason. This library allowed for the preservation of the Yiddish and Hebrew languages through their collection of books written in these dialects. This further enhanced the sense of community and oneness felt in the North Side neighborhood.




Badges

65}px This place is part of
Public History 3001 Class Project
64px}px This place is part of the
Minneapolis Jewish North Side Tour



Photo Gallery

Related Links

Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission: Sumner Branch Library

Architecture: Carnegie Libraries in Scotland and America

Hennepin County Libraries

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]