Stillwater Carnegie Public Library, 224 3rd Street North, Stillwater, Minnesota

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 31: Line 31:
{{AddaMemory}}
{{AddaMemory}}
{{Textarea Building}}
{{Textarea Building}}
 +
{{Memory Header}}
The Stillwater Public Library was established in 1897. The original building was constructed in 1902 on the current site with funds provided by the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. In March 2005, the City Council formally approved a resolution to provide City funds of $5 million towards a library renovation/ expansion project, and authorized the Library Board to proceed. Matching funds to complete the project came from the generous support of area foundations, corporations, and individuals in the Stillwater area community. Conrad Schmitt Studios was chosen to restore the historic entry rotunda and wing rooms. The aged structure required fiberglass wall stabilization to deter future surface cracks before the decorative schemes were applied. Once painted white, the rotunda columns are now graced by faux marble decoration and the upper Gothic tablature is glazed and gold gilded to match the tile floor.  
The Stillwater Public Library was established in 1897. The original building was constructed in 1902 on the current site with funds provided by the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. In March 2005, the City Council formally approved a resolution to provide City funds of $5 million towards a library renovation/ expansion project, and authorized the Library Board to proceed. Matching funds to complete the project came from the generous support of area foundations, corporations, and individuals in the Stillwater area community. Conrad Schmitt Studios was chosen to restore the historic entry rotunda and wing rooms. The aged structure required fiberglass wall stabilization to deter future surface cracks before the decorative schemes were applied. Once painted white, the rotunda columns are now graced by faux marble decoration and the upper Gothic tablature is glazed and gold gilded to match the tile floor.  
-
{{Memory Header}}
+
 
==Badges==
==Badges==
{{Badgeboxtop}}
{{Badgeboxtop}}
Line 41: Line 42:
== Photo Gallery ==
== Photo Gallery ==
-
== Related Links ====
+
== Related Links ==
 +
 
 +
[http://www.carnegie.org/sub/kids/libraries.html History of Carnegie Libraries]

Revision as of 16:45, December 21, 2009

Edit with form

Stillwater Carnegie Public Library

Address: 224 3rd Street N
Neighborhood/s: Downtown Historic District, Stillwater, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Stillwater, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Washington County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1902
Primary Style: Beaux Arts
Additions: 1972: Akerman Associates

1986: Meyer, Sherer, & Rockcastle 2006: Miller Dunwiddie

Major Alterations: Altered
Historic Function: Library
Current Function: Library
Architect or source of design: Patton & Miller Architects
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick
Material of Roof: Ceramic Tile
Material of Foundation: Concrete
First Owner: City of Stillwater, MN

Downtown Historic District Stillwater Washington County

Stillwater Carnegie Public Library, 224 3rd Street North, Stillwater, Minnesota
(45.0573737° N, 92.8094041° WLatitude: 45°3′26.545″N
Longitude: 92°48′33.855″W
)


Contents


Memories and stories

The Stillwater Public Library was established in 1897. The original building was constructed in 1902 on the current site with funds provided by the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. In March 2005, the City Council formally approved a resolution to provide City funds of $5 million towards a library renovation/ expansion project, and authorized the Library Board to proceed. Matching funds to complete the project came from the generous support of area foundations, corporations, and individuals in the Stillwater area community. Conrad Schmitt Studios was chosen to restore the historic entry rotunda and wing rooms. The aged structure required fiberglass wall stabilization to deter future surface cracks before the decorative schemes were applied. Once painted white, the rotunda columns are now graced by faux marble decoration and the upper Gothic tablature is glazed and gold gilded to match the tile floor.


Badges

64px}px This place is part of
the ARCH5670 Class Project

Photo Gallery

Related Links

History of Carnegie Libraries

Personal tools
Contribute
[http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]