Saint Clement's Episcopal Church, 901 Portland Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: {{Infobox Building |building_name=St. Clement's Episcopal Church |building_number=901 |street=Portland |street_suffix=Avenue |city-locality=St. Paul |neighborhood=Summit Hill |county=Rams...)
Line 1: Line 1:
{{Infobox Building
{{Infobox Building
 +
[[Image:pf026491.jpg]]
|building_name=St. Clement's Episcopal Church
|building_name=St. Clement's Episcopal Church
|building_number=901
|building_number=901

Revision as of 21:14, September 27, 2007

{{Infobox Building Image:pf026491.jpg |building_name=St. Clement's Episcopal Church |building_number=901 |street=Portland |street_suffix=Avenue |city-locality=St. Paul |neighborhood=Summit Hill |county=Ramsey |state-province=Minnesota |country=United States of America |year_built=1894-1895 |primary_style=English Gothic |additions=Parish House - 1913 |architectsource=Cass Gilbert |historic_function=Religious Facility |current_function=Religious Structure |exterior_wall_covering=Limestone |roof_material=Slate |foundation_material=Limestone }}

Saint Clement's Episcopal Church, 901 Portland Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota
(44.942863° N, 93.138182° WLatitude: 44°56′34.307″N
Longitude: 93°8′17.455″W
)
National Register of Historic Places Information



Founded in 1893 as Emmanuel Mission, the church was built through the gift of Mrs. Elizabeth Eaton, the widow of Rev. Theodore Eaton, rector of St. Clement's Church, N.Y., N.Y. Cass Gilbert was named architect for the project by Bishop Mahlon Gilbert who wanted the new church as his "pro-cathedral" in the Twin Cities. Although some scholars regard St. Clement's as one of Gilbert's most "archaeological" designs, incorporating many features of English country churches, even including a litch gate, the interior of the church is decidedly Victorian and incorporates a number of features copied from St.Clement's in New York. Most prominent of these is the stain-glass window in the chancel, by Tiffany Studios, modeled on the Robert Wier painting, "Evening of the Crucifixion" which hung above the alter at St. Clement's in New York.

Contents



Memories and stories

Location

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]