Split Rock Lighthouse, Lake County, Minnesota

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: {{Infobox Structure |structure_name=Split Rock Lighthouse |other_type=Lighthouse |structure_location=On the North Shore of Lake Superior, 20 miles north of Two Harbors, MN on MN Highway 61...)
Line 13: Line 13:
|first_owner=United State Lighthouse Service
|first_owner=United State Lighthouse Service
}}
}}
-
{{Location}}
+
{{Location
 +
|Coordinates=47.09899300318609° N, 91.54134750366211° W
 +
}}
 +
{{Infobox nrhp
 +
|nrhp_url=http://nrhp.mnhs.org/NRDetails.cfm?NPSNum=69000073
 +
|nrhp_criteria=A, C
 +
|nrhp_certification_date=1969/6/23
 +
|nrhp_significance=State
 +
}}
{{AddaMemory}}
{{AddaMemory}}
-
{{Textarea Structure}}
+
{{Textarea Structure
 +
|structure_intro=After sevear storms caused catastrophic shipping losses on Lake Superior's North Shore in 1905, congress authorized the building of new lighthouses on the lake.  The Split Rock light was completed in 1910 and remained in service until 1969 when modern navigational aids made it oblsolete.  With the completion of the North Shore highway to the area in 1924, the lighthouse,with its spectacular views of the lake and shoreline, ecame a popular tourist stop. Obtained by the State of Minnesota in 1971, the lighthouse and its supporting buildings are operated as an historic site by the Minnesota Historical Society.
 +
}}
{{Memory Header}}
{{Memory Header}}
== Photo Gallery ==
== Photo Gallery ==

Revision as of 22:18, December 14, 2007

Edit with form

Split Rock Lighthouse

Location of Structure: On the North Shore of Lake Superior, 20 miles north of Two Harbors, MN on MN Highway 61.
City/locality-
State/province
Two Harbors, MN, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Lake County County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1910
Builder: United State Lighthouse Service
Historic Function: Other
Current Function of Structure: Other

Two Harbors, MN Lake County

Split Rock Lighthouse, Lake County, Minnesota
(47.09899300318609° N, 91.54134750366211° WLatitude: 47°5′56.375″N
Longitude: 91°32′28.851″W
)
National Register of Historic Places Information
Reference URL: [Reference]
Certification date: 1969/6/23
Level of significance: State
After sevear storms caused catastrophic shipping losses on Lake Superior's North Shore in 1905, congress authorized the building of new lighthouses on the lake. The Split Rock light was completed in 1910 and remained in service until 1969 when modern navigational aids made it oblsolete. With the completion of the North Shore highway to the area in 1924, the lighthouse,with its spectacular views of the lake and shoreline, ecame a popular tourist stop. Obtained by the State of Minnesota in 1971, the lighthouse and its supporting buildings are operated as an historic site by the Minnesota Historical Society.

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]