Seward School, 24th Street East and 28th Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota (1887-1966)

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: {{Infobox Building |building_name=Seward School |building_location=Corner of 24th Street East and 28th Avenue South |city-locality=Minneapolis |neighborhood=Seward |county=Hennepin |county...)
Current revision (15:40, October 1, 2017) (view source)
 
(3 intermediate revisions not shown.)
Line 13: Line 13:
|exterior_wall_covering=Brick
|exterior_wall_covering=Brick
|roof_material=Asphalt
|roof_material=Asphalt
 +
|building_image1=SNGhistcomm--seward_school_centennial_button.jpg
|notes=Additions 1901, 1910, 1916; Major renovation 1950; Playground expansion 1958.
|notes=Additions 1901, 1910, 1916; Major renovation 1950; Playground expansion 1958.
}}
}}
Line 20: Line 21:
{{AddaMemory}}
{{AddaMemory}}
{{Textarea Building
{{Textarea Building
-
|house_intro=In December 1887 Seward School opened with three grades. The new 12-room, brick building was located on the edge of the grounds of the old King's Fair (1877-1882). By 1901 the school building contained grades one through eight; kindergarten was added with the 1910 addition. By 1916 the school had more than 50 rooms and 1256 students. In 1963 the community began taking steps to build a new school-park combination. A bonding bill was passed, additional land was purchased, and finally a groundbreaking took place on October 21, 1965. (See Seward Elementary School; Matthews Center; Matthews Park.) The new building was completed in 1966, serving kindergarten through sixth grade. The students helped transfer furnishings from the original Seward School to the new Seward Elementary. A photograph shows the demolition of the old Seward School as it sits next to its newly finished replacement.  
+
|house_intro=In December 1887 Seward School opened with three grades. The new 12-room, brick building was located on the edge of the grounds of the old [[King's Fair, Minneapolis, Minnesota (1877-1882)|King's Fair]] (1877-1882). By 1901 the school building contained grades one through eight; kindergarten was added with the 1910 addition. By 1916 the school had more than 50 rooms and 1256 students. In 1963 the community began taking steps to build a new school-park combination. A bonding bill was passed, additional land was purchased, and finally a groundbreaking took place on October 21, 1965. (See [[Seward Elementary School, 2309 28th Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota|Seward Elementary School]]; Matthews Center; [[Matthews Park, 2318 29th Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota|Matthews Park]].) The new building was completed in 1966, serving kindergarten through sixth grade. The students helped transfer furnishings from the original Seward School to the new Seward Elementary. A photograph shows the demolition of the old Seward School as it sits next to its newly finished replacement.
}}
}}
{{Memory Header}}
{{Memory Header}}
Line 26: Line 27:
== Related Links ==
== Related Links ==
 +
 +
*[http://seward.mpls.k12.mn.us/uploads/oldschool01_2.JPG Photo of Seward School]
 +
*[http://www.electiontrendsproject.org/lists/inventory.html#Seward Inventory of Minneapolis Schoolhouses]
== Notes ==
== Notes ==

Current revision

Edit with form

Seward School

Neighborhood/s: Seward, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1887
Year razed: 1966
Historic Function: School
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick
Material of Roof: Asphalt
Notes: Additions 1901, 1910, 1916; Major renovation 1950; Playground expansion 1958.

Seward Minneapolis Hennepin County

Seward School, 24th Street East and 28th Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota (1887-1966)
(44.959212° N, 93.231396° WLatitude: 44°57′33.163″N
Longitude: 93°13′53.026″W
)


In December 1887 Seward School opened with three grades. The new 12-room, brick building was located on the edge of the grounds of the old King's Fair (1877-1882). By 1901 the school building contained grades one through eight; kindergarten was added with the 1910 addition. By 1916 the school had more than 50 rooms and 1256 students. In 1963 the community began taking steps to build a new school-park combination. A bonding bill was passed, additional land was purchased, and finally a groundbreaking took place on October 21, 1965. (See Seward Elementary School; Matthews Center; Matthews Park.) The new building was completed in 1966, serving kindergarten through sixth grade. The students helped transfer furnishings from the original Seward School to the new Seward Elementary. A photograph shows the demolition of the old Seward School as it sits next to its newly finished replacement.

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]