Scottish Rite Temple, 2011 Dupont Ave South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search

Mdougla (Talk | contribs)
(New page: {{Infobox Building |building_name=Scottish Rite Temple |building_number=2011 |street=Dupont |street_suffix=Avenue |direction=S |city-locality=Minneapolis |neighborhood=Lowry Hill East |cou...)
Newer edit →

Revision as of 02:03, May 26, 2019

Edit with form

Scottish Rite Temple

Address: 2011 Dupont Avenue S
Neighborhood/s: Lowry Hill East, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1890
Primary Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Historic Function: Religious/Place of worship
Current Function: Religious facility, other
Architect or source of design: Warren H. Hayes, Harry Wild Jones

Lowry Hill East Minneapolis Hennepin



Our historic Scottish Rite Masonic Center was built in several phases over many years, first as a church and then as the home for the Minneapolis Scottish Rite. Construction of the original Fowler Methodist Church was initiated on this site in Minneapolis in 1890. As the church expanded in the mid 1890s additional space was needed to serve the growing congregation. Construction of the main auditorium was begun in 1895 and completed by 1906. The Minneapolis Scottish Rite purchased the building when the Fowler Church merged with the Hennepin United Methodist Church. The Scottish Rite took possession of the building and established its new home here on January 1, 1915. The previous home for the Scottish Rite in Minneapolis was the Masonic building that is still located at 6th and Hennepin in Downtown Minneapolis. That building is now the home of the Hennepin Center for the Arts. The impressive Romanesque Revival architecture of our Scottish Rite Masonic Center represents the only combined work of 2 major Minnesota architects, Warren H. Hayes (the original sanctuary - now our Red Room) and Harry Wild Jones (the new sanctuary in 1906, now our main auditorium). Our building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Highlight of the interior of the building: The Tomhave Library The Red Room The Main Auditorium The Rose Window Main Level Lounge Candidates/Education Room The Burns Room Lower Level Lounge The Library and Museum Lower Level Gathering Area (west end of the dining room) 33rd Conference Degree Room Restrooms [1]

Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links


    Personal tools
    [ snubnosed]