Samaritan Hospital, 1515 W. Charles Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota

From Placeography

Revision as of 00:29, March 9, 2009 by Mmclaughlin02 (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ←Older revision | Current revision (diff) | Newer revision→ (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Samaritan Hospital

Address: 1515 Charles Avenue W
Neighborhood/s: Hamline-Midway, Saint Paul, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Saint Paul, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Ramsey County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1919
Primary Style: Commercial
Additions: New front entrance and west addition, built in ca. 1968.
Major Alterations: Intact
Historic Function: Hospital
Current Function: Hospital
Architect or source of design: Lambert Bassindale
Builder: J. & W.A. Elliot Co. (Minneapolis)
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick
Material of Roof: None Listed
Material of Foundation: Concrete
Building Permit Number: 73935 (1919), 92852 (1968)

Hamline-Midway Saint Paul Ramsey County

Samaritan Hospital, 1515 W. Charles Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota
(44.957453° N, 93.1645444° WLatitude: 44°57′26.831″N
Longitude: 93°9′52.36″W
)


The information provided here is from the 1983 Ramsey County Historical Society and Saint Paul Heritage Preservation Commission Historic Sites Survey:

Date of site visit 1/18/1982 Fieldworker: L. Scott

The fenestration is "1/1 rectangular, casement, and fixed pane" with a "flat" roof style. The building is built with a "brick stretcher bond wall covering."

Significant details: "First two stories recessed behind upper two floors supported by tall rounded brick arches with keystones. Concrete watertable. Concrete beltcourse between first and second story. Brick piers above first story ending below a parapet wall with projecting entablature. Concrete lintels and sills."

Significant site and landscape features: "Entire city block bounded by Asbury, Simpson, Edmund, and Charles."

Legal description: "Lot 1-18, Block 5, Dyer's Rearrangement of Hamline"

Historical background: "This hospital was built in 1919 at an estimated cost of $315,000 and was originally owned by Northern Pacific Hospital and the Northern Pacific Beneficial Association (which had connections with the Northern Pacific Railway). In 1968, part of the building was removed and a $1,000 addition was made to the west side. In 1971, the building became Samaritan Hospital."

Level of significance: "Local"

Statement of significance: "A moderate sized utilitarian hospital building designed by Lambert Bassindale, who also designed the Midway Hospital."

Sources of information: "Polk's 1920 St. Paul City Directory"

Historic Sites Survey architect file.

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]