Reinhold Zeglin House, 3621 Park Avenue, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 39: Line 39:
-
Today, Coney Island, and what remains of its Victorian hotel and cottages, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/MN/Carver/vacant.html). For historic photos of the Coney Island Hotel and Resort, visit the Minnesota Historical Society Visual Resource Database at http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresources.  
+
Today, Coney Island, and what remains of its Victorian hotel and cottages, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/MN/Carver/vacant.html). For historic photos of the Coney Island Hotel and Resort, visit the [http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresources/Results.cfm?Page=1&Digital=Yes&Keywords=coney%20island%20waconia&SearchType=Basic Minnesota Historical Society Visual Resource Database].  

Revision as of 02:11, March 12, 2008

Edit with form

Reinhold Zeglin House

3621 Park Avenue, approx. 1909 (courtesy of Marjorie Zeglin Towers)
3621 Park Avenue following the enclosure of the front porch in 1913. Today, the home remains virtually unchanged. (courtesy of Joni Zeglin-Lerum)
Address: 3621 Park Avenue
Neighborhood/s: Powderhorn, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Central, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1905
Primary Style: Colonial Revival
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Current Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Architect or source of design: Barclay Cooper
Builder: Barclay Cooper
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Wood
Material of Roof: Shingle
Material of Foundation: Limestone
First Owner: Anson W. and Ella B. Morey

Powderhorn, Central Minneapolis Hennepin

Reinhold Zeglin House, 3621 Park Avenue, Minneapolis, Minnesota
(44.937375,-93.26508warning.png"44.937375.-93.26508" is not a number. )


According to Minneapolis building permits, original owners Anson W. and Ella B. Morey commissioned Barclay Cooper to build this single-family Colonial Revival home in the middle of a double lot on Park Avenue in south Minneapolis in June of 1905. Construction was completed in November of 1905, at a total cost of $5,085.


Barclay Cooper was a successful local builder, having erected a number of residential structures for such notable Minneapolitans as Allen Harmon (after whom downtown's Harmon Place Historic District is named), W.L. Waldron, John Proctors, and R. M. Chapmans, and several important commercial structures, including the Metropolitan Theater.[1]

Contents

History

Reinhold and Amelia Zeglin purchased 3621 Park Avenue in October of 1908.


Reinhold Zeglin and his family owned and operated the Coney Island Hotel and Resort on "Coney Island of the West" on Lake Waconia (Waconia, Carver County, MN) between 1888 and 1939. Under Zeglin ownership, the island was notable for being a popular resort and outdoor recreation destination for many prominent business, mercantile, and political figures of the day from both Minneapolis and St. Paul, as well as several period celebrities, including a silent film star, singers/musicians, and even a rumored Mark Twain and Al Capone. (source: Waconia, Paradise of the Northwest: The Lake and Its Island, Waconia Heritage Associaton, 1986. Pages 43-56)


Today, Coney Island, and what remains of its Victorian hotel and cottages, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/MN/Carver/vacant.html). For historic photos of the Coney Island Hotel and Resort, visit the Minnesota Historical Society Visual Resource Database.


Minneapolis city directories for the years 1909 through 1922 list "Mr. and Mrs. Reinhold Zeglin" at 3621 Park Avenue, and the 1910 federal census lists Reinhold Zeglin (58) at 3621 Park Avenue along with his wife, Amelia (48); daughter, Emma (26); son, Reinhold (11); and son, Albert (8).


In January of 1910, Reinhold Zeglin applied for a building permit to have W.F. Doeltz & Son construct a large duplex on one of two Park Avenue lots he owned just to the south of his own home. He commissioned the home to be built for his youngest daughter, Minnie, and her recently married husband, Frank Bender. Construction was completed by July of 1910, and Minneapolis city directories list "Frank W. and Minnie Bender" as residing at 3625 Park Avenue starting in 1911 through 1915.


During Reinhold Zeglin's years as Proprietor of the Coney Island Hotel and Resort, he and Amelia spent much of their summers on the island and winters at their Park Avenue residence. They lived at 3621 Park Avenue until 1922.

Memories and stories

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]