Placeography:Featured place/2013-09

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Louis Hill House, 260 Summit Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota

Louis succeeded his father, James J. Hill, as president of the Great Northern Railroad. The house was built directly next door to the James J. Hill house in 1902 as a wedding present for Louis and his bride Maud. They named the house "Dove Hill. Wanting more room to entertain, Louis and Maud had a large addition made to the main facade in 1913. Many rooms were added which included a ballroom. In 1948, when Louis Hill died, the home was sold to the Catholic Guild, and in 1961 was used as a Retreat House. The house was a children's hospice when Dick and Nancy Nicholson bought it to convert it back to a single family home. The Nicholsons were interested in restoring the house but also in modernizing it. New storm windows were installed throughout and exterior shutters to reflect early photos. A complete balustrade was returned to the 1912 addition. A new side entry was added for recycling and trash and to cover a leaky light well. The neighboring carriage house was annexed to the property as a guest house. A log house "folly" was built down in back as a "male retreat." The half buried Loggia was dug out to create a large terrace and lit glass fountain. The Saint Paul Heritage Preservation Commission and Saint Paul Chapter of the American Institute of Architects awarded the project the 2004 Award of Recognition, for the “sensitive restoration design of the Louis and Maud Hill House. The Louis Hill House at 260 Summit Avenue, is one of nine included on the September 19, 2013 Ramsey-Hill House tour. Ramsey Hill House tour

Personal tools
[ snubnosed]