Old Main, 1536 Hewitt Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 28: Line 28:
}}
}}
{{AddaMemory}}
{{AddaMemory}}
-
{{Textarea Building}}
+
{{Textarea Building
 +
|house_intro=The information provided here is from the 1983 Ramsey County Historical Society and Saint Paul Heritage Preservation Commission Historic Sites Survey:
 +
 
 +
Date of site visit 2/1/1982 by fieldworker: R. Younger
 +
 
 +
Significant details: "Symmetrical facade dominated by 4 story central entrance tower with a steeply pitched pyramidal roof with dormers and capped by a smaller pyramidal spire.  Entrance is recessed within an archway, and located under a 2nd story rectangular oriel window.  The central 3 bays on the main facade project in front if the side bays and have windows grouped in 2's and 3's with polychromatic brick and stone detailing.  Most of the 1st floor windows are rectangular with segmental brick arches; 2nd story windows are rounded arched.  Numerous gabled wall dormers with paired single windows.  dark brick belt courses at levels of lintels on 1st and 2nd floors."
 +
 
 +
Additions and alterations: "Renovated recently.  New concrete steps and light fixtures on exterior, brickwork cleaned."
 +
 
 +
Significant site and landscape features: "This building is located at the center of the Hamline campus with a deep setback from Hewitt Ave."
 +
 
 +
Additional comments: "By 1910-11 the school had 251 students in the "Collegiate department" and 56 in the preparatory department closed in 1911.  Historically Hamline University has been affiliated with the Methodist Church."
 +
 
 +
Historical background: "Hamline University named for Bishop Leonidas Hamline was chartered in 1854 in Red Wing and was initially a preparatory school.  By the early 1860's the school included a college program but by 1969 they suspended operations due to the lack of funds.  While trying to raise funds the school decided to move to Saint Paul but reopening plans were delayed by the panic of 1873.  Under the direction of Reverend John Stafford the school reopened its doors in 1880 in St. Paul in a 5 story building known as University Hall, known today as 'Old Main.'  Dr. George Bridgman served as the president of the institution from 1884 until 1912 and was largely responsible for developing it into a well-established school.
 +
 
 +
Statement of significance: "Hamline University is historically significant as one of the oldest educational institutions in the state.  Old Main is one of the most sophisticated and oldest college buildings in the State and is an excellent example of the Ruskinian variety and of High Victorian Gothic architecture as practiced by Warren H. Hayes, a Minneapolis architect who was well known for his church designs and was probably selected as the architect of this building because of his experience in designing church auditoriums (University Hall contains a large auditorium).  The building is wonderfully intact and is the center of campus activities."
 +
}}
{{Memory Header}}
{{Memory Header}}
== Photo Gallery ==
== Photo Gallery ==

Revision as of 16:11, January 30, 2009

Edit with form

Old Main

Address: 1536 Hewitt Avenue W
Neighborhood/s: Hamline-Midway, Saint Paul, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Saint Paul, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Ramsey County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1887
Primary Style: Victorian Gothic
Major Alterations: Some/mostly intact
Historic Function: College/university
Current Function: College/university
Architect or source of design: Warren H. Hayes
Builder: G. Summers
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick
Building Permit Number: 11387
Part of the Site: Hamline University

Hamline-Midway Saint Paul Ramsey County

Old Main, 1536 Hewitt Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota
(44.967125° N, 93.16525° WLatitude: 44°58′1.65″N
Longitude: 93°9′54.9″W
)


The information provided here is from the 1983 Ramsey County Historical Society and Saint Paul Heritage Preservation Commission Historic Sites Survey:

Date of site visit 2/1/1982 by fieldworker: R. Younger

Significant details: "Symmetrical facade dominated by 4 story central entrance tower with a steeply pitched pyramidal roof with dormers and capped by a smaller pyramidal spire. Entrance is recessed within an archway, and located under a 2nd story rectangular oriel window. The central 3 bays on the main facade project in front if the side bays and have windows grouped in 2's and 3's with polychromatic brick and stone detailing. Most of the 1st floor windows are rectangular with segmental brick arches; 2nd story windows are rounded arched. Numerous gabled wall dormers with paired single windows. dark brick belt courses at levels of lintels on 1st and 2nd floors."

Additions and alterations: "Renovated recently. New concrete steps and light fixtures on exterior, brickwork cleaned."

Significant site and landscape features: "This building is located at the center of the Hamline campus with a deep setback from Hewitt Ave."

Additional comments: "By 1910-11 the school had 251 students in the "Collegiate department" and 56 in the preparatory department closed in 1911. Historically Hamline University has been affiliated with the Methodist Church."

Historical background: "Hamline University named for Bishop Leonidas Hamline was chartered in 1854 in Red Wing and was initially a preparatory school. By the early 1860's the school included a college program but by 1969 they suspended operations due to the lack of funds. While trying to raise funds the school decided to move to Saint Paul but reopening plans were delayed by the panic of 1873. Under the direction of Reverend John Stafford the school reopened its doors in 1880 in St. Paul in a 5 story building known as University Hall, known today as 'Old Main.' Dr. George Bridgman served as the president of the institution from 1884 until 1912 and was largely responsible for developing it into a well-established school.

Statement of significance: "Hamline University is historically significant as one of the oldest educational institutions in the state. Old Main is one of the most sophisticated and oldest college buildings in the State and is an excellent example of the Ruskinian variety and of High Victorian Gothic architecture as practiced by Warren H. Hayes, a Minneapolis architect who was well known for his church designs and was probably selected as the architect of this building because of his experience in designing church auditoriums (University Hall contains a large auditorium). The building is wonderfully intact and is the center of campus activities."

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Hamline University Admissions Building Giddens Learning Center Manor House Peterson Dormitory Hamline School of Law Drew Hall of Science Bush Memorial Library Norton Field Hamline University Boiler Plant Charles M. Drew Residence Sorin Hall


Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]