Minneapolis Institute of Arts, 2400 3rd Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

Revision as of 18:14, November 27, 2008 by Ddrake (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ←Older revision | Current revision (diff) | Newer revision→ (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Minneapolis Institute of Arts

Address: 2400 3rd Avenue S
Neighborhood/s: Whittier, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1915
Primary Style: Classical Revival
Secondary Style: Beaux Arts
Additions: Julia Morrison Building, Hewitt & Brown, 1916; Kenzo Tange w/ Parker Klein Associates, 1974; Michael Graves & Associates w/ RSP Architects, 2006
Major Alterations: Altered
Historic Function: Museum
Current Function: Museum
Architect or source of design: McKim Mead and White
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Stone

Whittier Minneapolis Hennepin

Minneapolis Institute of Arts, 2400 3rd Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
(44.95918,-93.272768warning.png"44.95918.-93.272768" is not a number. )


Contents


The Minneapolis Institute of Arts (MIA) is an encyclopedic fine art museum located in the Whittier neighborhood of Minneapolis, Minnesota. The campus, that covers nearly 8 acres, was formerly Morrison Park. As a government funded public museum, it does not charge an entrance fee, except for special exhibitions, and allows photography of its permanent collection for personal use only. The museum receives support from the park board museum fund, levied by the Hennepin County commissioners. Additional funding is also provided by corporate sponsors and museum members.

The building is located within the Washburn-Fair Oaks Mansion District, a neighborhood of mansions built by wealthy Minneapolis business leaders between 1880 and 1920. The district is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Chronology

In 1883, twenty-five citizens of Minneapolis founded the Minneapolis Society of Fine Arts, committing them to bringing the arts into the life of their community. More than a century later, the museum they created, the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, stands as a monument to a remarkable history of civic involvement and cultural achievement.

Designed by the preeminent New York architectural firm McKim, Mead and White, the original building opened its doors in 1915. A neoclassical landmark in the Twin Cities, the MIA expanded in 1974 with an addition designed by the late Japanese architect Kenzo Tange. In June 2006, the museum unveiled a new wing designed by architect Michael Graves.

The Target Wing was the result of a major renovation and expansion that included thirty-four new galleries, and an additional 40% exhibition space. As well as increased gallery space the expansion included a new Lecture Hall, Photographs Study Room, Print Study Room, and an Art Research Library in a new, more visible location. The Graves design respectfully combined the neoclassical elegance of the original McKim, Mead & White 1915 building with the minimalism of Tange’s 1974 addition.


The MIA's permanent collection has grown from eight hundred works of art to around eighty thousand objects. The collection includes world-famous works that embody the highest levels of artistic achievement, spanning five thousand years and representing the world's diverse cultures across all continents. The MIA has seven curatorial areas: Africa, Oceania, and the Americas; Architecture, Design, Decorative Arts, Craft, and Sculpture; Asian Art; Paintings and Modern Sculpture; Photographs; Prints and Drawings; and Textiles.


Badge

65}px This place is part of the
Minnesota Modernism Tour

Photo Gallery

Related Links

http://www.artsmia.org/

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]