Longfellow House, 4800 Minnehaha Avenue South, Minneapolis

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search

Ldyer (Talk | contribs)
(New page: {{Infobox Building |building_name=Longfellow House |building_number=4800 |street=Minnehaha |street_suffix=Avenue |direction=S |building_location=Minnehaha Park |city-locality=Minneapolis |...)
Newer edit →

Revision as of 22:23, November 14, 2007

Edit with form

Longfellow House

Address: 4800 Minnehaha Avenue S
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1906
Primary Style: Georgian
Moved from Location: 4001 Minnehaha Parkway
Historic Function: Single Dwellingwarning.png"Single Dwelling" is not in the list of possible values (House/single dwelling or duplex, Airport terminal, Apartments/condominiums, Auditorium/music facility, Bank/financial institution, Barn/agricultural building, Business, Capitol , City hall/town hall/, Civic, Clinic/medical office, Clubhouse, College/university, Correctional facility, Courthouse, Dancehall/reception area, Department store, Drive-in restaurant or business, Energy facility, Fire/police station, Fortification, Gas/filling station, Government office, Grain elevator, Hospital, Hotel/motel, Institutional housing, Library, Manufacturing facility, Meeting hall, Military facility, Mortuary/funeral home, Multiple dwelling, Museum, Office, Organizational, Park building, Post office, Public works, Rail-related, including depots, Ranger station, Religious/Place of worship, Religious facility, other, Resort/spa, Restaurant, Sanitarium, School, Shopping center/mall/strip mall, Secondary building/sheds, privies, Sports facility/stadium, Theater/concert hall, Warehouse/storage, Other) for this property.
Current Function: Museum
First Owner: Robert F. Jones
Notes: Robert F. Jones House

Minneapolis Hennepin

Longfellow House, 4800 Minnehaha Avenue South, Minneapolis
(44.912271° N, 93.207374° WLatitude: 44°54′44.176″N
Longitude: 93°12′26.546″W
)


This house is a 2/3 scale replica of the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow house in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It was built for Robert F. "Fish" Jones, who operated a zoo in this location called Longfellow Gardens.

Contents

History

Robert F. Jones died in 1930. The Minneapolis Park Board acquired the house in 1934. The house served as a public library branch from the mid-1930's until 1968. It was moved in the mid-1990's as part of the widening of Highway 55. Now restored, it serves as an interpretive and information center for the Minneapolis Park System.

Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]