Longfellow Field, Minnehaha Avenue and East 28th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota (1911-1917)

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Current revision (17:35, September 30, 2017) (view source)
 
(6 intermediate revisions not shown.)
Line 18: Line 18:
|Coordinates=44.9519763° N, 93.2346634° W
|Coordinates=44.9519763° N, 93.2346634° W
}}
}}
-
{{Textarea Site
+
 
-
|site_intro=Longfellow Field consisted of a little over four acres of land located next to the first Longfellow School. It was a very popular spot for city sports events since it was convenient to the streetcar lines. In 1917 the park board decided to sell the land to a manufacturing firm, the Minneapolis Steel and Machinery Company, for $35,000. It was subsequently moved about a mile southeast to its present location at [[Longfellow Park, 36th Avenue South and East 34th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota|Longfellow Park]].
+
Longfellow Field consisted of a little over four acres of land located next to the first Longfellow School. It was a very popular spot for city sports events since it was convenient to the streetcar lines. In 1917 the park board decided to sell the land to a manufacturing firm, the Minneapolis Steel and Machinery Company, for $35,000. It was subsequently moved about a mile southeast to its present location at [[Longfellow Park, 36th Avenue South and East 34th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota|Longfellow Park]].
-
}}
+
 
{{AddaMemory}}
{{AddaMemory}}
{{Memory Header}}
{{Memory Header}}
Line 26: Line 26:
== Related Links ==
== Related Links ==
 +
*[http://collections.mnhs.org/cms/largerimage.php?irn=10342760&catirn=10761068&return=brand=cms&q=Longfellow%20School%20Minneapolis Photo of Longfellow School at Minnehaha and Lake]
 +
*[http://www.electiontrendsproject.org/lists/inventory.html#Longfellow Inventory of Minneapolis Schoolhouses]
 +
*[https://www.minneapolisparks.org/parks__destinations/parks__lakes/longfellow_park/#group_3_14603 Longfellow Field history]
== Notes ==
== Notes ==
 +
The first Longfellow School was a 2-story, 4-room brick schoolhouse, built by Minneapolis Township in 1876. The schoolhouse at Minnehaha & Lake (north side of Lake, west of 27th Avenue) became Board of Education property when the City annexed the neighborhood in April 1883. The old building was joined by a second school built on the same site in 1886 (plus 3 extra lots purchased that year). All told, 16 rooms in 2 buildings occupied the site until 1919.
<div class="references-small">
<div class="references-small">
<references/>
<references/>
</div>
</div>

Current revision

Edit with form

Longfellow Field

Longfellow Field 1912
Location of Site: Minnehaha Avenue and East 28th Street
Neighborhood/s: Longfellow, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year Established: 1911
Year Ended: 1917
Historic Function: Park
Current Function: Commercial district

Longfellow Minneapolis Hennepin County

Longfellow Field, Minnehaha Avenue and East 28th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota (1911-1917)
(44.9519763° N, 93.2346634° WLatitude: 44°57′7.115″N
Longitude: 93°14′4.788″W
)

Longfellow Field consisted of a little over four acres of land located next to the first Longfellow School. It was a very popular spot for city sports events since it was convenient to the streetcar lines. In 1917 the park board decided to sell the land to a manufacturing firm, the Minneapolis Steel and Machinery Company, for $35,000. It was subsequently moved about a mile southeast to its present location at Longfellow Park.


Contents

Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

The first Longfellow School was a 2-story, 4-room brick schoolhouse, built by Minneapolis Township in 1876. The schoolhouse at Minnehaha & Lake (north side of Lake, west of 27th Avenue) became Board of Education property when the City annexed the neighborhood in April 1883. The old building was joined by a second school built on the same site in 1886 (plus 3 extra lots purchased that year). All told, 16 rooms in 2 buildings occupied the site until 1919.

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]