Judson Memorial Church, 4140 Harriet Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 22: Line 22:
}}
}}
{{Location
{{Location
-
|Coordinates=44.928532,-93.285683
+
|Coordinates=44.928532° N, 93.285683° W
}}
}}
{{AddaMemory}}
{{AddaMemory}}
{{Textarea Building
{{Textarea Building
-
|house_intro=JUDSON CHAPEL DESCRIBED
+
|house_chronology=By Tom Balcom, Church Historian
-
 
+
-
Harry W. Jones used a gothic architectural style in his design of the Judson Memorial Chapel.
+
-
It was described in a December, 1907 newspaper article about the chapel's dedication as follows:
+
While no past record or proof exists, it is very likely that Harry Wild Jones is responsible for naming our church. Because he was an architect and a long-standing member of our parent church, Calvary Baptist at 26th and Blaisdell Avenue, Jones was commissioned to design both our original chapel and our current church building. Now for the rest of the story!
 +
Harry Wild Jones was involved in a near-fatal car accident in 1906. For his recuperation from a fractured skull, Jones took an around-the-world cruise, including an extended stay in Burma. He specifically went to Burma because his grandfather Jones did missionary work there with Adoniram Judson during the early to mid-1800s. He learned firsthand about the valuable contributions to the well-being of the Burmese people and their country by Judson, his grandfather, and other 19th century Baptist missionaries in Burma.
-
"The exterior presents a most artistic and substantial appearance with its brown stained weatherboards, rough cast work, leaded glass windows, and ample entrance. The interior consists of a basement under the whole building, an audience room seating 200 and a lecture room which will be used for prayer meetings and social purposes. A pleasing feature of the interior is the open truss roof and the harmony of color in decoration of ceiling and walls. It is heated with a furnace and lighted with electricity. The total cost with furnishings was $6,000." <ref>The Miracle on 41st Street
+
Upon Jones’ return to Minneapolis in 1907, he designed a chapel for Calvary’s mission church two miles to the southwest in a new growing neighborhood. At that time, I’m convinced that Harry Wild Jones gave our church the name “Judson Memorial Baptist Church” because of his admiration for the missionary work of Adoniram Judson and his grandfather Jones. In addition, Adoniram Judson was a famous graduate of Brown University, a college deeply rooted in religion, where Harry attended before getting his architecture degree from MIT. Finally, using “Memorial” in a building name was a common practice for recognizing important people and their role in founding institutions such as churches, schools, and hospitals in the early 1900s. Coincidentally, for over 40 years, Jones lived just a block from the Washburn Memorial Orphan Asylum (where Ramsey Junior High School is today).
-
1909-1984 A 75 Year History of Judson Church by Thomas W. Balcom Presented at the Diamond Anniversary Celebration 12/13/1984</ref>
+
 
 +
Our church cornerstone is right around the corner, literally, to the right of the 41st Street entrance to Judson Church. The huge block of limestone is inscribed with our church name, our 1909 year of incorporation, and the year 1914 when our cornerstone was laid and construction of Judson Church began at 41st and Harriet. Judson’s first minister, Justin Roe Nixon placed a sealed box in the cornerstone containing paper records relating to the history and organization of the church in the prior five years, the merger of Judson and First Free Baptist Churches, and building committee members and officers of the church.
 +
 
 +
Tom Balcom drilled into the side of the cornerstone and with a boroscope was able to view a portion of the box. A short time later, a much larger hole was drilled to allow the removal of the box. Unfortunately, the box was totally rusted out and falling apart. The papers had absorbed moisture over the years and were a congealed pile of mush. Curator staff from the Midwest Art Conservation Center determined that the paper records could not be recovered and restored.
 +
 
 +
On June 8th, 2006 after the church service, we celebrated the 100 year anniversary of the cornerstone laying ceremony at the 41st Street entrance. The rusted box and paper contents were on display. We are planning to place a new, much better-sealed container in the cornerstone at another ceremony after a Sunday service this fall.  We will then seal up the cornerstone for another 100 years.  <ref>The Miracle on 41st Street 1909-1984 A 75 Year History of Judson Church by Thomas W. Balcom Presented at the Diamond Anniversary Celebration 12/13/1984</ref>
}}
}}
{{Memory Header}}
{{Memory Header}}

Revision as of 19:18, January 10, 2019

Edit with form

Judson Memorial Church

Judson Memorial Church
Address: 4101 Harriet Avenue S
Neighborhood/s: Kingfield, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1909
Primary Style: Gothic
Historic Function: Religious/Place of worship
Historic Function: Church
Other Historic Function: Church
Current Function: Religious/Place of worship
Current Function: Church
Other Current Function: Church
Architect or source of design: Harry Wild Jones
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick

Kingfield Minneapolis Hennepin

Judson Memorial Church, 4140 Harriet Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
(44.928532° N, 93.285683° WLatitude: 44°55′42.715″N
Longitude: 93°17′8.459″W
)


Contents

History

By Tom Balcom, Church Historian

While no past record or proof exists, it is very likely that Harry Wild Jones is responsible for naming our church. Because he was an architect and a long-standing member of our parent church, Calvary Baptist at 26th and Blaisdell Avenue, Jones was commissioned to design both our original chapel and our current church building. Now for the rest of the story! Harry Wild Jones was involved in a near-fatal car accident in 1906. For his recuperation from a fractured skull, Jones took an around-the-world cruise, including an extended stay in Burma. He specifically went to Burma because his grandfather Jones did missionary work there with Adoniram Judson during the early to mid-1800s. He learned firsthand about the valuable contributions to the well-being of the Burmese people and their country by Judson, his grandfather, and other 19th century Baptist missionaries in Burma.

Upon Jones’ return to Minneapolis in 1907, he designed a chapel for Calvary’s mission church two miles to the southwest in a new growing neighborhood. At that time, I’m convinced that Harry Wild Jones gave our church the name “Judson Memorial Baptist Church” because of his admiration for the missionary work of Adoniram Judson and his grandfather Jones. In addition, Adoniram Judson was a famous graduate of Brown University, a college deeply rooted in religion, where Harry attended before getting his architecture degree from MIT. Finally, using “Memorial” in a building name was a common practice for recognizing important people and their role in founding institutions such as churches, schools, and hospitals in the early 1900s. Coincidentally, for over 40 years, Jones lived just a block from the Washburn Memorial Orphan Asylum (where Ramsey Junior High School is today).

Our church cornerstone is right around the corner, literally, to the right of the 41st Street entrance to Judson Church. The huge block of limestone is inscribed with our church name, our 1909 year of incorporation, and the year 1914 when our cornerstone was laid and construction of Judson Church began at 41st and Harriet. Judson’s first minister, Justin Roe Nixon placed a sealed box in the cornerstone containing paper records relating to the history and organization of the church in the prior five years, the merger of Judson and First Free Baptist Churches, and building committee members and officers of the church.

Tom Balcom drilled into the side of the cornerstone and with a boroscope was able to view a portion of the box. A short time later, a much larger hole was drilled to allow the removal of the box. Unfortunately, the box was totally rusted out and falling apart. The papers had absorbed moisture over the years and were a congealed pile of mush. Curator staff from the Midwest Art Conservation Center determined that the paper records could not be recovered and restored.

On June 8th, 2006 after the church service, we celebrated the 100 year anniversary of the cornerstone laying ceremony at the 41st Street entrance. The rusted box and paper contents were on display. We are planning to place a new, much better-sealed container in the cornerstone at another ceremony after a Sunday service this fall. We will then seal up the cornerstone for another 100 years. [1]

Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]