Joseph H. Pound House, 7100 Oak Grove Boulevard, Richfield, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Pound House

2004
Address: 7100 Oak Grove Boulevard
City/locality-
State/province
Richfield, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1856
Primary Style: Greek Revival
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Current Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Wood
Material of Roof: Asphalt Shingles
Material of Foundation: Limestone

Richfield Hennepin

Joseph H. Pound House, 7100 Oak Grove Boulevard, Richfield, Minnesota
(44.873316° N, 93.290088° WLatitude: 44°52′23.938″N
Longitude: 93°17′24.317″W
)


Joseph H. Pound was born in 1829, in Kent County, England, of a family of knightly origin. His father, the Reverend Jesse Pound, came to America to take the rectorship of St. Mather's Church in New York City, at that time one of the most important charges in the country. Young Joseph was a good student at Trinity School, but was unable to continue there because of the limited finances of his family. When he had to leave school, he chose to travel for the enlargement and cultivation of his mind. He spent eight years as a sailor, going around the world twice. In 1849, he again settled in New York and studied civil engineering. For the next eight years he worked as an engineer, completing, among other projects, the great Hoosac Tunnel under the direction of General Sewell.

In 1854, Joseph Pound married Jennet Leggat in New York City. The Pounds came to Minnesota in 1856 and settled on a large farm in Richfield. A small cabin was built, but soon a substantial structure was added that became a Hennepin County landmark for its beauty. This Pound home was at one time a religious center as well, with the prominent Reverend Grear, a Fort Snelling chaplain, coming to conduct services there.

Mr. Pound was a member of the Democratic Party and apparently inspired the confidence of his neighbors. He was repeatedly elected to office, serving as Justice of the Peace, Town Supervisor, Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners and a member of the 1870 legislature. He was an active member of the Gethsemane Church and was always interested in its success. At the time of his death in 1889, Mr. Pound was respected and loved by all who knew him.

The present owners of this home have made it their family residence since 1931. By the 1940's the surrounding acreage had been divided up into lots and became known at the Wood Lake Shores Additions. This is a beautiful area of Richfield because of the many old oak trees.

Contents


Memories and stories

Badges

64px}px This place is part of
Farm Houses of Richfield


Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]