Handicraft Guild Addition, 1004 Marquette Avenue, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Handicraft Guild Addition

Address: 1004 Marquette Avenue S
Neighborhood/s: Downtown West, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1914
Primary Style: Georgian
Historic Function: School
Current Function: Business
Architect or source of design: William Channing Whitney, Hewitt & Brown
Builder: H.N. Leighton
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick
Building Permit Number: A12663
Notes: Addition to the

Handicraft Guild (1907) 89-91 S 10th Street

Downtown West Minneapolis Hennepin

The original Handicraft Guild building at 89-91 South 10th street, was built in 1907 to provide a permanent facility for the Handicraft Guild school to educate art teachers and provide apprenticeships for artists and craftspersons. There was a store which offered the artists work and a Guild Hall where lectures and concerts were held. The teachers taught at the Minneapolis School of Fine Arts at the Minneapolis Public Library or the Minneapolis Public School system. During the summer they taught at the Handicraft Guild. Students came to the Guild from throughout Minnesota and the Midwest. The teachers traveled to other Guilds in Chicago and Boston and to Arts Institutions exhibiting their work and the work of their students. The Handicraft Guild was also the center of artistic culture and commerce in the Twin Cities.

The founders of the Guild, Mary Emma Roberts, Mary Moulton Cheney and Florence Willets formed a plan with Emma's childhood friends Joseph and Susan Kingman who had funded the construction of the original Handicraft Guild building. The plan was for an addition to be built on 1st Avenue south (which was renamed Marquette Avenue in 1913.) The architects for the addition were Edwin Hewitt and Edwin Brown who perfectly replicated the Georgian Revival exterior of the original Handicraft Guild building blending it perfectly with William Channing Whitney's design. The interior improved upon the original Guild building's design. Private studios and communal spaces were lit by state of the art "Sky Lights" and enormous windows. Abundant rich wood paneling, doors and staircases established a connection between nature and Arts and Crafts style, function and beauty.

Ernest Batchelder designed handmade tile for the Marquette entry way which resembles miniature red cobblestones interwoven with sacred symbols of Christian and Asian religions. The studios and classrooms were surrounded by storefronts that provided new venues for artists and small businesses to sell their work.

The building was connected to the original Handicraft building through a central hallway and underground tunnel. The design is such that movement throughout the buildings and from one building to another must have been easy and flowing.

If the Handicraft Guild building was built today, it would win awards in Green Building and Sustainable Design. The environment is full of light and beautiful woodwork. The building inspires and stimulates creativity. It is an Arts and Crafts masterwork of architecture and interior design.

Artists, photographers and musical instrument makers have always worked in the Handicraft Guild's buildings and continue to do so today. The stores that surround the buildings at the street level are run by artists, a wig maker, a tailor, and an art gallery. These are vital, diverse, entrepreneurial businesses.

The Handicraft Guild addition was completed and opened in 1914. When the Guild disbanded in 1918, some of the independent artists and musical instrument makers continued to work in the building. Photographers Norton and Peel had their studios in this building until the 1960s.

Mary Moulton Cheney became the first female president of the school of the Minneapolis Society of Fine Arts. Ruth Raymond became an assistant professor in the College of Education at the University of Minnesota. Ernest Batchelder and Douglas Donaldson and their families went to Los Angeles California and founded the Southern California Handicraft Guild. Some of the former Minneapolis Handicraft Guild leaders such as Emma Roberts and Florence Willets, when they retired from teaching drawing and painting at Minneapolis Public Schools, also moved to Los Angeles and also became members of the Southern California Arts and Crafts movement.

In the 1990s the original Handicraft Guild and its Marquette addition were owned by Margot Seigel who intended to sell both buildings to a developer who intended to demolish them and build a hotel. Strong grassroots opposition resulted in the local historic landmark designation of both buildings in October 1998. Seigel filed a lawsuit and the Minnesota Court of Appeals removed the Handicraft Guild addition from historic landmark status (in 2000) stating that there was no written proof that 1004 Marquette was an addition to the original Handicraft Guild building on S 10th street.

The buildings have been the focus of many development proposals. Pratt-Ordway and Village Green have a current (2015) proposal for an 18 story apartment building. The proposal will retain the original Handicraft Guild building at 89-91 S 10th street but demolish the Handicraft Guild addition at 1000-1006 Marquette (1004 Marquette is the primary address) which occupies the entire block of 10th and Marquette.

The Handicraft Guild addition at 1004 Marquette and the adjacent building at 1016 Marquette Ave So were demolished in February - March 2nd 2018.


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Handicraft Guild (1907)

Slideshow - What Does it Look Like?

Norton and Peel

Norton and Peel collection

Proposed development-2015

School brochures

The Handicraft Guild School of Design and Normal Art






Building Permit-1914

Permit Cards

Minneapolis Local Historic Landmark Designation

National Register of Historic Places nomination 1997


The Handicraft Guild Art Collective - Summer 2015

The Handicraft Guild Art Collective 2015

A Tale of Two Siblings- Emma and Thomas Roberts


Ernest Batchelder Tiles

Batchelder's Principles of Design

Keeywadin Elemenary School fountain - Minneapolis

Batchelder in Minnesota

Our Lady of Victory Chapel, St. Paul

Batchelder in California

Salvaging Batchelder

Mary Linton Bookwalter


Gamut Gallery Faces Changes

Minneapolis Star Tribune 7/3/2015

Minneapolis Star Tribune 6/21/2015


It's Here We Live

Skylights on the roof of 1004 Marquette


The Handicraft Guild Art Collective - Summer 2015

Givens Violins

Andrew Dipper Restorations

Josi Severson

Gamut Gallery


Shin's Alterations and Tailors

Lee's Wigs and Beauty

California Nails and Hair

Devil's Advocate


Minnesota Court of Appeals Decision 2000

Preservation Law Reporter 2000

Letters October 1998

Designation Resolution 10-2-1998

Greenwich Village 5-1-1973

On the Chopping BlockÔÇÄ 5-12-1997

Historic Designation 8-25-1998

Building Tension 9-21-1998

Shop Owner 6-4-1999

Court can rule 6-2-2000


    Personal tools
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]