Hamm Brewery, Saint Paul, Minnesota

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: {{Infobox Site |site_name=Hamm Brewery |city-locality=Saint Paul |neighborhood=Dayton's Bluff |county=Ramsey |state-province=Minnesota |country=United States |year_established=1865 |histor...)
Line 8: Line 8:
|year_established=1865
|year_established=1865
|historic_site_function=Industrial site
|historic_site_function=Industrial site
 +
|site_image1=daytonsbluff048.jpg
 +
|caption1=2001
 +
|site_image2=daytonsbluff050.jpg
 +
|caption2=2001
}}
}}
{{Location
{{Location
-
|Coordinates=44.96288494316538° N, 93.08348894119263° W
+
|Coordinates=44.962884943165,-93.083488941193
}}
}}
{{AddaMemory}}
{{AddaMemory}}
{{Textarea Site
{{Textarea Site
-
|site_intro=The original Hamm's was established in 1865 when Theodore Hamm, a German immigrant, inherited the Excelsior Brewery from his friend and business associate, A. F. Kellar. Kellar had constructed his brewery over artesian wells in a section of the valley of the Phalen Creek valley near St. Paul, Minnesota, known as Swede Hollow. Hamm hired Christopher Figg to be his masterbrewer, and by the 1880s the T. Hamm Brewing Company was reckoned the second largest in Minnesota.
+
|site_intro=In 1860 Andrew T. Keller established the Pittsburgh Brewery on this site, one of at least four breweries built on the banks of Phalen Creek. In 1864 the brewery was purchased by Theodore Hamm (1825-1903), who came to St. Paul his his wife Lousia Bucholtz Hamm in 1856 and operated a boarding house and saloon near W. 7th Street for seven years. By 1878 Hamm had transformed the 500-barrel-a-year Keller brewery into a 5,000-barrel-a-year business. By 1882 the brewery produced 26,000 barrels pre year and by 1885 the complex had grown to 4 acres. Their son, William Hamm suceeded his father as president of the brewery and under his leadership, it became the largest brewery in the state and a nationally known company.
 +
 
 +
Hamm's Brewery is historically significant as one of the most famous of the twelve breweries which once operated in St. Paul, making the city the brewing capitol of the state. <ref>Dayton's Bluff District Council. "Hamm Brewery News."<br />
 +
[http://www.daytonsbluff.org/History/HammsBrewery/hammbrewerynews.html http://www.daytonsbluff.org]</ref>
His son, William, and grandson, William Jr. inherited the operation in 1903. During Prohibition the company survived by producing soft drinks and other food products, leaving it in a position to expand rapidly through acquisitions after the repeal of Prohibition in 1933. In 1968 the company was acquired by the Heublein Brewing Company, which sold it to Olympia Brewing Company. In 1980 Olympia merged with Pabst, which was acquired by Stroh's in 1984 and it by Miller Brewing in 1999, and that in turn by South African Breweries later that year. The future of the brand is uncertain. There is limited distribution in North America. <ref>Wikipedia. Hamm's Brewery.
His son, William, and grandson, William Jr. inherited the operation in 1903. During Prohibition the company survived by producing soft drinks and other food products, leaving it in a position to expand rapidly through acquisitions after the repeal of Prohibition in 1933. In 1968 the company was acquired by the Heublein Brewing Company, which sold it to Olympia Brewing Company. In 1980 Olympia merged with Pabst, which was acquired by Stroh's in 1984 and it by Miller Brewing in 1999, and that in turn by South African Breweries later that year. The future of the brand is uncertain. There is limited distribution in North America. <ref>Wikipedia. Hamm's Brewery.
Line 20: Line 27:
}}
}}
{{Memory Header}}
{{Memory Header}}
-
== Photo Gallery ==
+
<gallery>
 +
Image:daytonsbluff049.jpg
 +
Image:phalentrail_012.jpg
 +
Image:phalentrail_010.jpg
 +
</gallery>
 +
 
 +
[[Image:Hamms-Elevators-2001.jpg|left|200px|thumb|The last portion of  the Hamm Brewery grain elevators, the head house, was taken down on Friday, November 16, 2001 at 10 a.m. ]]<br clear="all">
 +
 
== Related Links ==
== Related Links ==

Revision as of 01:51, February 10, 2008

Edit with form

Hamm Brewery

2001
2001
Neighborhood/s: Dayton's Bluff, Saint Paul, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Saint Paul, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Ramsey County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year Established: 1865
Historic Function: Industrial site

Dayton's Bluff Saint Paul Ramsey

Hamm Brewery, Saint Paul, Minnesota
(44.962884943165,-93.083488941193warning.png"44.962884943165.-93.083488941193" is not a number. )

In 1860 Andrew T. Keller established the Pittsburgh Brewery on this site, one of at least four breweries built on the banks of Phalen Creek. In 1864 the brewery was purchased by Theodore Hamm (1825-1903), who came to St. Paul his his wife Lousia Bucholtz Hamm in 1856 and operated a boarding house and saloon near W. 7th Street for seven years. By 1878 Hamm had transformed the 500-barrel-a-year Keller brewery into a 5,000-barrel-a-year business. By 1882 the brewery produced 26,000 barrels pre year and by 1885 the complex had grown to 4 acres. Their son, William Hamm suceeded his father as president of the brewery and under his leadership, it became the largest brewery in the state and a nationally known company.

Hamm's Brewery is historically significant as one of the most famous of the twelve breweries which once operated in St. Paul, making the city the brewing capitol of the state. [1]

His son, William, and grandson, William Jr. inherited the operation in 1903. During Prohibition the company survived by producing soft drinks and other food products, leaving it in a position to expand rapidly through acquisitions after the repeal of Prohibition in 1933. In 1968 the company was acquired by the Heublein Brewing Company, which sold it to Olympia Brewing Company. In 1980 Olympia merged with Pabst, which was acquired by Stroh's in 1984 and it by Miller Brewing in 1999, and that in turn by South African Breweries later that year. The future of the brand is uncertain. There is limited distribution in North America. [1]

Contents




Memories and stories

The last portion of  the Hamm Brewery grain elevators, the head house, was taken down on Friday, November 16, 2001 at 10 a.m.
The last portion of the Hamm Brewery grain elevators, the head house, was taken down on Friday, November 16, 2001 at 10 a.m.


Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]