Eastman Flats, Eastman Avenue, Minneapolis, Minnesota (1878-1959)

From Placeography

Revision as of 16:54, March 26, 2009 by Ddrake (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ←Older revision | Current revision (diff) | Newer revision→ (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Eastman Flats

Eastman Flats 1936
Eastman Flats - Herancourt Map 1885
Address: Eastman Avenue
Neighborhood/s: Nicollet Island, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1878 abt
Year razed: 1942-1959
Historic Function: Apartments/condominiums
Builder: William Wallace Eastman
First Owner: William Wallace Eastman

Nicollet Island Minneapolis Hennepin County

Eastman Flats, Eastman Avenue, Minneapolis, Minnesota (1878-1959)
(44.986675° N, 93.262815° WLatitude: 44°59′12.03″N
Longitude: 93°15′46.134″W


Memories and stories

Nicollet Island has a northern residential section, a middle commercial section along Hennepin Avenue, and a southern industrial section. The first houses were built in the 1840s, accessed by walking logs in the summer or ice in the winter. In 1879 William Eastman brought industrial power to the island by stringing an overhead cable from the east channel water turbines to island mills and factories, including those for building boxes, furniture, paint, machinery, boilers, wagons, rubber goods and gaskets. Later, steam boilers replaced the cable. There were several ice houses along the southern end of the island, where winter-cut ice would be stored for summer's use. Early factories and mills burned and were replaced in stone. The Williams Brothers Boiler Works (now the Nicollet island Park Shelter) and the Island Sash and Door Company (now the Nicollet Island Inn and restaurant) survive. The Island was a fashionable place to live in the 1870s with several mansions and four-story townhouses. Later the island's fortunes declined, and many houses and townhouses were subdivided. Many of the townhouses were torn down for the DeLasalle High School in the 1920s and 1930s, although some remain and have been rehabilitated as the Grove Street Flats. Some old houses from elsewhere in the city have been moved onto the island because of its quiet ambiance. Most of the commercial buildings of Hennepin Avenue were demolished in the 1960s (Anfinson, Scott 1989-90).


65}px This place is part of the
Saint Anthony Falls Historic District

Photo Gallery

Related Links


    Personal tools
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]