Dyer Building, 21-23 West 5th Street, Saint Paul, Minnesota, (Razed)

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 15: Line 15:
{{Location}}
{{Location}}
{{AddaMemory}}
{{AddaMemory}}
-
{{Textarea Building}}
+
{{Textarea Building
 +
|house_intro=The Dyer Building housed W.J Dyer & Bro. Music Company on the first floor, but it was also one of the many spaces around the Twin Cities used by the Lee Brothers. The Lee Brothers were prominent Minnesota photographers from the 1880s until the 1940s. The two Lee brothers split their business between St. Paul and Minneapolis in 1919. Thorwald operated in Minneapolis, and Peder operated in St. Paul.
 +
 
 +
The Lee Brothers made a generous contribution to the Minnesota Historical Society in conjunction with the opening of a new Historical Society building in 1917. The Lee Brothers contacted many important Minnesotans, encouraging them to come to the Lee Bros. studio for a formal portait. The Lees then asked the subjects to write an autobiographical sketch to accompany the portrait. These portraits formed a core element of the Minnesota Historical Society's photography collection.   
 +
}}
{{Memory Header}}
{{Memory Header}}
== Photo Gallery ==
== Photo Gallery ==
== Related Links ==
== Related Links ==
 +
[http://www.placeography.org/index.php/Lee_Brothers_Studio%2C_2546_Portland_Avenue%2C_Minneapolis%2C_Minnesota Here is a link to Lee Brothers Studio on Portland Ave., St. Paul]
== Notes ==
== Notes ==

Revision as of 20:23, June 3, 2009

Edit with form

Dyer Building

Address: 21 5th Street W
Neighborhood/s: Downtown, Saint Paul, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Saint Paul, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Ramsey County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Historic Function: Music Store; Photo Studio

Downtown Saint Paul Ramsey


The Dyer Building housed W.J Dyer & Bro. Music Company on the first floor, but it was also one of the many spaces around the Twin Cities used by the Lee Brothers. The Lee Brothers were prominent Minnesota photographers from the 1880s until the 1940s. The two Lee brothers split their business between St. Paul and Minneapolis in 1919. Thorwald operated in Minneapolis, and Peder operated in St. Paul.

The Lee Brothers made a generous contribution to the Minnesota Historical Society in conjunction with the opening of a new Historical Society building in 1917. The Lee Brothers contacted many important Minnesotans, encouraging them to come to the Lee Bros. studio for a formal portait. The Lees then asked the subjects to write an autobiographical sketch to accompany the portrait. These portraits formed a core element of the Minnesota Historical Society's photography collection.

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Here is a link to Lee Brothers Studio on Portland Ave., St. Paul

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]