Crow Wing County Courthouse, 326 Laurel Street, Brainerd, Minnesota

From Placeography

Revision as of 01:23, April 9, 2009 by Ddrake (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ←Older revision | Current revision (diff) | Newer revision→ (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Crow Wing County Courthouse

Address: 326 Laurel Street
Crow Wing County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1920
Primary Style: Beaux Arts
Architect or source of design: Alden and Harris
Builder: J & W. A. Elliott Company

Crow Wing County

[[Category:Buildings in {{{city-locality}}}, Minnesota]]
National Register of Historic Places Information
Reference Number: 80002023
Certification date: May 24, 1980
Level of significance: Local
Primary Style: Classical Revival
Secondary Style: Jacobean Revival

The Minnesota Historical Society holds many of the historical records, such as naturalization and civil and criminal case files, from this courthouse. State laws restrict some access to records. The Minnesota State BAR association published The First 100 Years— , which holds a more complete history of the judicial history on both the local and state levels.

The first Crow Wing County Courthouse was built on Fourth Street, just north of the railroad tracks, in 1872 at a cost of $30,000. Financed by the sale of bonds, the building was an eleborate Romanesque style courthouse. Dating from 1920, the current Crow Wing County Courthouse is a classic Beaux Arts building, typical of the first quarter of the 20th century. It is built of smooth-cut gray stone and stands 130 by 90 feet. Above a high rough-cut stone basement or first floor, piers and columns reach two stories to the cornice. A medallion and flag pole anchor the center of its classically symmetrical features. The double glass doors with transom and sidelights are highlighted by an arch and cast-iron lamp posts. The interior has polished marble floors and walls, and a balconied rotunda. A colored glass skylight dominates the dome, from which a fine brass electrolier with white glass fittings hangs above wide stairways. The building, which was placed on the National Register of Historic


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links



    Personal tools
    [ snubnosed]