Annice E. Keller House, 761 6th Street East, Saint Paul, Minnesota

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 24: Line 24:
|caption1=2001
|caption1=2001
|building_image2=Keller Lumber.jpg
|building_image2=Keller Lumber.jpg
-
|caption2=CE Keller Company 7th and Minnesota
+
|caption2=CE Keller Company 7th and Minnesota}}
-
|building_image3=exterior.jpg
+
-
|caption2=Exterior Pre Renovation
+
-
}}
+
{{Location
{{Location
|Coordinates=44.959096,-93.068107
|Coordinates=44.959096,-93.068107

Revision as of 22:21, February 29, 2008

Edit with form

Bernice Keller House

2001
CE Keller Company 7th and Minnesota
Address: 761 6th Street E
Neighborhood/s: Dayton's Bluff, Saint Paul, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Saint Paul, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Ramsey County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1889
Primary Style: Queen Anne
Secondary Style: Victorian
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Current Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Architect or source of design: Edwin S. Radcliffe
Builder: E. Sephton and company at 582 Jackson street in St. Paul
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Wood
Material of Roof: Shingle
Material of Foundation: Limestone
First Owner: Bernice Keller

Dayton's Bluff Saint Paul Ramsey

Annice E. Keller House, 761 6th Street East, Saint Paul, Minnesota
(44.959096,-93.068107warning.png"44.959096.-93.068107" is not a number. )


This house is part of 8 houses known as Keller Row.

The Annice E. Keller house, or Keller row house #8 at 761 East Sixth Street, was commissioned by the widow of the wealthy lumber baron John M. Keller. Called the “Head of the single most outstanding … property development in the district…” by the St. Paul heritage preservation commission John M. Keller b. 22 June 1833 d. 29 Jan 1879 owned a large section of land, an entire city block between east 7th and 6th and bound by Hope Street, originally named Hill street, and Eichenwald. The Keller mansion was built at 394 Eichenwald in 1874 and demolished pre 1959 when a modern apartment building was placed there. Keller was a German immigrant who names his home and the street in front of his home “Eichenwald”, a German word meaning “Oak Forest”, as a reminder of his home Germany. Eichenwald street was platted in 1877. Keller himself was a master carpenter and owned his own lumber business. The lumber company was entitled “Keller C.E. &CO”, Charles and Annice E. Keller as owners and was located in the NW corner of 7th and Minnesota streets in the city directory. John M. was married to Annice E. <Scott> Keller and they had a number of children including; Annice Bourey KELLER b: 31 OCT 1878 in St. Paul, Minnesota, Charles Edward KELLER b: 21 SEP 1858 in St. Paul, Minnesota, Louis Scott KELLER b: 6 OCT 1860, George William KELLER b: 2 FEB 1863, Mary Edith KELLER b: 17 AUG 1866, Sadee Alice KELLER b: 10 JUN 1869, John Michael KELLER b: 10 AUG 1871 in St. Paul, Minnesota, Joseph Anderson KELLER b: 13 DEC 1873 in St. Paul, Minnesota, Herbert Paist KELLER b: 7 FEB 1875. Listed “At home” in 1880; Annice, Charles E., George W. Keller bookkeeper and by 1884 listed a Louis S. Keller as the foreman. .[1] [1]


In 1889 Annice E. Keller had the eight homes, now known as Keller row, built on the East 6th street side of their property. The reason why is unknown, but speculating that it was an investment might not be that far off as there was a housing boom of large middle class homes being built in the area. Another possibility is that she built the eight houses for her eight children. The architect chosen to design the homes was Edwin S. Radcliffe who is listed as having his office at the Mannheimer Building in St. Paul. Not much is known about Radcliffe. He was the son of one of the great builders of St. Paul Abraham Radcliffe who designed a number of notable buildings still standing. This was his last commission in the city before he moved to Duluth to practice there. One of his prominent houses in Duluth is entitled the Marcus and Sarah Fay house commissioned in 1902 at 2105 East Superior Street. The builders of the row homes is listed as a E. Sephton and company at 582 Jackson street in St. Paul. The original building permit was filed on May 31st 1889. One permit was submitted for the 8 detached dwellings at a cost of $5000.00 to build each. The memoranda on the permit reads “Commenced work on the foundations May 31st on the frames 10th June & finished all the dwellings about September 26th.” The foundations were built of Limestone blocks, earth and concrete. The rest of the dwelling is built of wood. It is also said that Annice Keller herself resided briefly at the address when it was first completed.[1]


An interesting side note is that the Sanborn Insurance maps of 1904 lists the property as actually having the address as 763 6th street. [1]

Contents


Memories and stories

Badges

65}px This place is part of the
Dayton's Bluff Historic District


Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]