William L. Sumner House, 3145 2nd Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

William L. Sumner House

William L. Sumner House
Address: 3145 2nd Avenue S
Neighborhood/s: Central, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1889
Primary Style: Queen Anne
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Architect or source of design: T.P. Healy
Builder: T.P. Healy
First Owner: William L. Sumner

Central Minneapolis Hennepin

William L. Sumner House, 3145 2nd Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
(44.94514,-93.273741warning.png"44.94514.-93.273741" is not a number. )
National Register of Historic Places Information
Reference Number: 93000417


Designed and built by T. P. Healy, the house is prominently situated on a corner lot. The house has a tall gabled roof with intersecting hips and gables.

At the southwestern corner of the main façade is a one story rounded corner bay with a copper cap which is typical of Healy’s work.

On the northern façade is a second story oriel window and a projecting two story bay set below the gable end.

The house was modified in 1908 by the addition of Tudor style porches with polygonal columns and wide Tudor arches on the main and southern facades.

Within the front porch is a double leaf door with transom. The house retains much leaded and stained glass, however it has been altered with asbestos siding.

The porch on the southern façade has been enclosed but retains exotic columns which match the front porch.

This was the last house built on the southern half of the 2nd Avenue side of the block. The building permit lists Healy as the original owner and the estimated cost of construction as $6,000.

At the back of the lot is a 1 ½ story hipped roof carriage house which is basically intact. This is one of three carriage houses standing in the historic district.

The other remaining carriage houses are at the back of 3137 2nd Ave So. and 3116 3rd Ave So.

This house represents a pattern of building larger houses, filling most of the fifty foot width of the lot and close together, that characterized residential building in Minneapolis in the 1880s and 1890s.

[1]

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Coololdbuildingsmn Theron Healy

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]