Thomas Palmer / William Baugh House, US 421 Big Hill Road, Richmond, Kentucky
|Edit with form|
Thomas Palmer/William Baugh House
|Address:||524 General Cruft Drive|
|Madison County, Kentucky|
|Year built:||ca. 1800-1825|
|Historic Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Current Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Material of Exterior Wall Covering:||Brick|
|First Owner:||William Baugh|
This small one-and-one half story dwelling lies on a tree-shaded knoll in the middle of pasture land. Its exterior still reflects the Federal style, although the orientation of the house has been reversed since it was built The original front is at the west side of the house and contains a central doorway. The painted brick walls of the front (present rear) facade are laid in Flemish bond, while the other exterior walls are common bond. The garret is lit by small sash windows located on either side of the interior end chimneys. Jack arches top the windows, and fluted wooden surrounds frame them.
A portion of the house was built in the early nineteenth century. William Baugh was the original owner with Thomas Palmer (1792-1869) and his wife Nancy (1792-1876) acquiring the property in 1844. The Palmer House played a small but important role in the Civil War Battle of Richmond in August 1862. The south side of the house was damaged during a skirmish that ensued after Confederate soldiers discovered Union men drinking the liquor that the Confederates had stored in the basement. The house gained further notoriety when Gen. John Miller (1798-1862, a former merchant of Richmond and a relative of the Col. John Miller (1798-1808) who founded Richmond, died there six days after being wounded while trying to rally Union troops near Mt. Zion Church.