Thomas Andrews House, 527 5th Street Southeast, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Thomas Andrews House

Thomas Andrews House
Brackets
Address: 527 5th Street SE
Neighborhood/s: Marcy-Holmes, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1867
Primary Style: Italianate
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Current Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Wood
First Owner: Thomas Andrews

Marcy-Holmes Minneapolis Hennepin County

Thomas Andrews House, 527 5th Street Southeast, Minneapolis, Minnesota
(44.986102,-93.246583warning.png"44.986102.-93.246583" is not a number. )


The Thomas Andrews house at 527 Fifth Street SE is an example of the Italianate style. The 1890 photograph shows that originally this house was a rectangular shaped box with a simple hipped roof topped by a central cupola. The elaborate bracketed cornices and three paired double windows with shutters across the front of the second story along the corners of the house, the cupola, and the original siding, which was scored to resemble stone, are gone.

Thomas F. Andrews, born March 31, 1830, in New Hampshire, was one of eight children. He received a common school education and at age twenty went to work for John P. Gass, proprietor of American House, a general store in Concord, New Hampshire…

Twenty-six-year-old Andrews arrived in St. Anthony in 1855 with his cousin John Pillsbury and his friend Woodbury Fisk. Andrews’ brother George also relocated to St. Anthony the same year. The men would be linked by family and business ties for the rest of their lives. Both Pillsbury and Andrews married sisters of Woodbury Fisk…

Thomas Andrews purchased the site for his home (Lots 1-2, Block 10, Mill Company Addition) on October 17, 1866, for two thousand dollars. The 1867 Tribune Map of St. Anthony shows a two-story hipped roof house with a cupola on the corner of Firth Street SE and Maple (present-day Sixth Avenue SE) suggesting the Italianate Revival – style house was built soon after Andrews purchased the land…

Andrews lived in his new house for a short time and then sold it to General Richard W. Johnson in the summer of 1869… In 1871 Andrews repurchased the house from General Johnson for eight thousand dollars…Andrews moved back into his mansion and lived there the rest of his life…Andrews died at age 62 on July 14, 1892…(His brother George inherited Thomas’ estate including the house)…

On April 30, 1903 George Andrews married Jesse Fuller and the ceremony was held at the Fifth Street House…That same year, George took out a building permit for two thousand dollars to alter the Fifth Street house, enlarging it to a two-family dwelling. This renovation almost doubled the size of the house. It is probable that the original siding, quoins, and cupola were removed at this time…

George's wife, Jessie, died March 13, 1904, at the birth of their son, Thomas Franklin Andrews. George continued to occupy the house that his father built. Later his sister, Dolly Andrews Field, moved back to her childhood home, in which she held an undivided interest that was left to her by her father. She was still living there when George died in 1927. Field lived in the house until her death in 1961.[1]

Some time after that the house became a rooming house, but was restored in 1999 and converted to a duplex. It is part of the Marcy-Holmes 5th Street Historic district.

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery


Related Links

Minneapolis Wikipedia Marcy Holmes

neighborhood association

City of Minneapolis Fifth Street

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]