T.P. Healy House, 3115 2nd Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
|Edit with form|
T.P. Healy House
|Address:||3115 2nd Avenue S|
|Neighborhood/s:||Central, Minneapolis, Minnesota|
|Hennepin County, Minnesota|
|Primary Style:||Queen Anne|
|Historic Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Current Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Architect or source of design:||T.P. Healy|
|Material of Exterior Wall Covering:||Stucco|
|Material of Roof:||Asphalt Shingles|
|First Owner:||T.P. Healy|
|National Register of Historic Places Information|
This was the third and final house that Healy himself occupied on the block. It represents the transitional phase of his work from the Queen Anne style to the Colonial Revival.
Recently renovated, this 2 ½ story woodframe house has a hipped roof and hipped dormers. The porch across the front of the house features thin tapered square columns with unusual capitals adorned with flowers.
The porch has square balusters and a paneled porch base. Located within the front porch there are a two story, three sided bay window with leaded glass transoms and a one story circular bay window. The original double leaf entrance with stained glass transom is intact.
There is a second story balcony above the porch on the front of the house. On the northern side of the house is a large rounded arched window. All but the first story of the front of the house was covered with stucco in 1957.
The building permit lists Healy as the original owner and the estimated construction cost as $6,000. Healy lived here from 1892 until his death in 1906. His widow, Mary Ann (Jefferson) Healy lived here until 1928.
Architectural historian Paul Clifford Larson has studied the development of Healy’s work in detail. Larson states that this house “anticipated the low rectilinearity and symmetry of his classical period, but was a vigorously composed and strikingly detailed as the Queen Anne houses of his primeyears.”