Stockyard Exchange Building, 200 Concord Street North, South Saint Paul, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Stockyard Exchange Building

2001
Address: 200 Concord Street N
City/locality-
State/province
South Saint Paul, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Dakota County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1887
Historic Function: Business
Historic Function: Exchange
Other Historic Function: Exchange
Current Function: Business
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick
First Owner: Union Stockyards Company

South Saint Paul Dakota

Stockyard Exchange Building, 200 Concord Street North, South Saint Paul, Minnesota
(44.893239° N, 93.034266° WLatitude: 44°53′35.66″N
Longitude: 93°2′3.358″W
)


The Stockyards Exchange is a building in South St. Paul, Minnesota built in 1887 by the recently-formed Union Stockyards Company. The building housed businesses associated with the nearby stockyards, which later became the largest stockyards in the United States. It also housed a post office, city offices, and the city's first bank, Stockyards National Bank.

The stockyards were organized in 1886 by Alpheus Beede Stickney, who was the president of the Chicago Great Western Railway. The stockyards attracted four major meatpacking plants, including Swift & Company in 1897 and Armour and Company in 1919. During the World War II years, the stockyards operated at their peak. Due to changing market forces and the decentralization of the industry, the stockyards declined during the 1960s and 1970s. Swift closed their plant in 1969, while Armour closed their plant in the 1970s.

In 1976, the South St. Paul City Council gave its Housing and Redevelopment Authority permission to buy the building. Colonial Properties bought the building in October 1979, but two months later, vandals caused major damage to the building by flooding it with fire hoses in the attic. The building was later purchased by a private developer, who was unable to raise the money to finish the renovation as scheduled. A couple opened the building in 1998 as the Castle Hotel, but it was only open a year. The building now houses a restaurant and nightclub

Contents


Memories and stories

Badges

65}px This place is part of the
Saint Paul Labor History Tour


Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]