Sleepy Hollow / Tevis House, Kentucky Route 627, Richmond, Kentucky
|Edit with form|
|Madison County, Kentucky|
Sleepy Hollow, only slightly visible from Boonesborough Road, was first the residence of Robert Tevis (1761-1823) and his wife, Mary Hobbs. In addition to his farming interest, Tevis became county magistrate and a deputy surveyor to the official county surveyor John Crooke. (See MASW-6)
Originally a five-bay one-story dwelling, Sleepy Hollow has been remodeled to provide more space and style. Flemish bond brickwork is confined to the five-bay front, or north, facade of the earlier portion. Reeded window surrounds identify 9/6 sash windows as part of the Federal period section of the structure. A six-light transom surmounts the Federal style doorway, also flanked by sidelights.Two wall gables were added to the front facade during the late nineteenth century, along with a one-story porch that is embellished with scrolled brackets, overhanging eaves, and wooden posts. These features, as well as a two-story frame wing with carved brackets at the eaves, reflect the Victorian Gothic Revival style.