Shattuck-Saint Mary's School, 1000 Shumway Avenue, Faribault, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Shattuck-Saint Mary's School

Shattuck School about 1940
Address: 1000 Shumway Avenue
City/locality-
State/province
Faribault, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Rice County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year Established: 1864
Founded by: Rev. Dr. James Lloyd Breck
Historic Function: Campus (educational)
Current Function: Campus (educational)

Faribault Rice

Shattuck-Saint Mary's School, 1000 Shumway Avenue, Faribault, Minnesota
(44.298963,-93.257626warning.png"44.298963.-93.257626" is not a number. )
National Register of Historic Places Information
Reference URL: [Reference]
Certification date: April 6, 1982
Level of significance: State
Shattuck-St. Mary History

Contents




Memories and stories

Among the oldest educational institutions in Minnesota, Shattuck-St.Mary's was founded in 1858 as a mission school and seminary of the Episcopal Church by Rev. James Lloyd Breck[1]. A few years later the school moved from a rented building in the city of Faribault to its present campus on the bluffs above the Straight River. In 1866 a building for the boy's school, Shattuck Hall, was built through the generosity of Dr. George Cheyne Shattuck of Boston. The Shattuck name was soon applied to the school itself. In the same year, Bishop Henry Whipple started a school for girls, called St.Mary's Hall, in Faribault. St. Mary's Hall was given its own building in 1883 on a site near the Shattuck campus. Seabury Theological Seminary was also located on the campus until its merger with Western Theological Seminary in 1932.

During the 19th Century a number of buildings designed by prominent American architects including Cass Gilbert, Henry Congdon and Clarence Johnston were added to the Shattuck and St.Mary's campus.

The schools merged in 1972.

Personal tools
Contribute
[http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]