Shanks House, 124 Lancaster Avenue, Richmond, Kentucky
|Edit with form|
The additions and improvements have been executed to blend with the original portion. A pedimented portico, having four pillars, now protects a leaded-glass transomed doorway, framed by an entablature and pilasters.
The nucleus of this one-and-one-half-story five-bay residence is recognized as being the oldest existing dwelling in Richmond. Considerably altered by a long ell at the rear and Classical Revival detailing, it was originally a Federal style single-pile house, built around 1803 on a thirteen acre tract of land. Interior chimneys at the gable ends are flanked by narrow sash windows which are enlargements of the original garret lights.