Seward School, 24th Street East and 28th Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota (1887-1966)

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Seward School

Neighborhood/s: Seward, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1887
Year razed: 1966
Historic Function: School
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick
Material of Roof: Asphalt
Notes: Additions 1901, 1910, 1916; Major renovation 1950; Playground expansion 1958.

Seward Minneapolis Hennepin County

Seward School, 24th Street East and 28th Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota (1887-1966)
(44.959212° N, 93.231396° WLatitude: 44°57′33.163″N
Longitude: 93°13′53.026″W
)


In December 1887 Seward School opened with three grades. The new 12-room, brick building was located on the edge of the grounds of the old King's Fair (1877-1882). By 1901 the school building contained grades one through eight; kindergarten was added with the 1910 addition. By 1916 the school had more than 50 rooms and 1256 students. In 1963 the community began taking steps to build a new school-park combination. A bonding bill was passed, additional land was purchased, and finally a groundbreaking took place on October 21, 1965. (See Seward Elementary School; Matthews Center; Matthews Park.) The new building was completed in 1966, serving kindergarten through sixth grade. The students helped transfer furnishings from the original Seward School to the new Seward Elementary. A photograph shows the demolition of the old Seward School as it sits next to its newly finished replacement.

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]