Savage Post Office (Riley Store), 123rd Street and Ottawa Avenue, Savage, Minnesota (Razed)

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Riley Store

Riley's Store exterior, 1903
Charles Kline in front of Riley’s Store, 1906
City/locality-
State/province
Savage, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Scott County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year razed: 1990s
Historic Function: Post office
Historic Function: General Store, bar room, pool hall, dance hall
First Owner: Riley Family

Savage Scott County

Savage Post Office (Riley Store), 123rd Street and Ottawa Avenue, Savage, Minnesota (Razed)
(44.778301, -93.339890Latitude: 44°46′41.884″N
Longitude: 93°20′23.604″W
)


Contents

History

Riley’s store was located on the corner of what was then Minnesota and Vine Streets (now 123rd Street and Ottawa Avenue) and it was operated by the Riley family. It had a general store and post office on the first floor and a bar room, pool hall, and dance hall on the top floor. John Riley was appointed Postmaster in October 1905.

The first rural free delivery service was inaugurated with Charles Kline as the mail carrier in September, 1905. Charles L. Kline was born September 20, 1873 in Eagle Creek Township and in 1894 he moved to Savage, which was still known as Hamilton. He was a member of the village council when the council officially changed the name of the village to Savage in 1904. When he joined the postal service he earned $60 a month. He used a horse and mail cart to deliver the mail and in the winter, a horse and cutter were used on his rural route that was 27 miles long. Regardless of the weather, the day started early and could take until 8:00 or 9:00 pm at night to complete the mail delivery to the many farm families on the rural route. George M. Egan was the substitute mail carrier for Charles Kline.

On April 18, 1928 Martin Riley signed the Oath of Post Office Employee as an assistant in the Post Office of Savage, Minnesota. He is also shown as the proprietor of the Riley store in the gallery images.

In the 1990s the Riley store was torn down to build a mixed use building for retail and apartments. The new building was called “The Hamilton” to reflect the historical roots of the city of Savage.

Memories and stories

Badges

64px}px This place is part of
Endangered Post Offices

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

Stelling, Del (April 1985). In this Corner. Savage REVIEW, p. 2.

Stelling, Del (January 1986). Charles Kline served as first rural mail carrier. Savage REVIEW, p. 7.

Stelling, Del (November 1987). Local friends gathered at the old village store. Savage REVIEW, p. 7.

Huddleston, Nancy (2012). Images of America Savage. Charleston, South Carolina: Arcadia Publishing.

Bicentennial Heritage Committee, (1976). Burnsville 76 – A Community History. Burnsville, Minnesota: Bicentennial Heritage Committee.

Special thanks to members of the Dan Patch Historical Society: Jens Bohn, President ; Mayor Janet Williams, Secretary; Will Williams, Board member; and Ray Egan, Savage mail carrier for 30+ years .


    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]