Saint Paul Curling Club, 470 Selby Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Saint Paul Curling Club

2001
Building entrance, 2001
Address: 470 Selby Avenue W
Neighborhood/s: Summit Hill, Saint Paul, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Saint Paul, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1912
Primary Style: Tudor Revival
Historic Function: Clubhouse
Current Function: Clubhouse
Architect or source of design: Clarence H. Johnston, Jr.
Builder: N. P. Fransen & Co.
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Stucco
Building Permit Number: 59129

Summit Hill Saint Paul


Saint Paul Curling Club, 470 Selby Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota
(44.946574,-93.120006warning.png"44.946574.-93.120006" is not a number. )


The St. Paul Curling Club was formed in 1912 from the merger of the Nushka Club (which played in a building on the site of St. Lukes's Hospital). The present building was constructed in 1912. The club originally used natural ice, but began to install artificial ice in 1941. In 1982 the building was remodeled.[1]

The sport of curling involves sliding heavy granite stones down a polished sheet of ice towards a target. Members of the St. Paul Curling Club have been sliding stones and sweeping ice since 1912 at the Selby Ave. clubhouse.


Contents

Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

http://twincitiescurling.org

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]