Placeography:Featured place/2012-03

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Horatio and Charlotte Van Cleve House, 603 5th Street, South East, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Although it was built for a furniture manufacturer named William Kimball, this house is chiefly associated with its second owners--Horatio and Charlotte Van Cleve. He was known for his military exploits, serving as a colonel and later as a general in the Civil War. She was a suffrage advocate, the first woman elected to the Minneapolis School Board, and the mother of 12 children. She was also a social reformer who in 1875 founded an organization to help "erring women," of which there appears to have been no shortage at the time.
The Charlotte O. Van Cleve school built in 1895, was once at the corner of Lowry Avenue and Jefferson Street North East.
March is Women's History Month! Add a place associated with Women's history to Placeography!

Personal tools
Contribute
[http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]