Pilgrim Monument, 1 High Pole Hill Road, Provincetown, Massachusetts
|Edit with form|
|Address:||1 High Pole Hill Road|
|Barnstable County, Massachusetts|
|Architect or source of design:||Willard Thomas Sears (1837-1920)|
|Current Function of Structure:||Statue/Monument|
Pilgrim Monument, constructed 1907-1910, commemorates the first Pilgrim landing on November 21, 1620. The Mayflower Pilgrims wrote and signed the Mayflower Compact during the landing, establishing law for the new colony they would soon establish in Plymouth, and explored the tip of Cape Cod for the ensuing five weeks. President Theodore Roosevelt laid the cornerstone on August 20, 1907, and President William Howard Taft dedicated the completed tower on August 5, 1910. On August 5, 2010 Pilgrim Monument will celebrate its centennial.The tower is 252 feet 7-1/2 inches tall (77 meters), and is the tallest structure in the United States constructed completely of granite: The walls are solid blocks of granite, quarried in Stonington, Maine, many with inscriptions of donor towns, cities and organizations. The design was part of a competition to build a bell tower (campanile), and is modeled after the Torre del Mangia in Siena, Italy. The design choice provoked some controversy at the time, but defenders noted the large Portuguese population in the area for justification. Visitors to the monument can climb 116 steps and 60 ramps to the top of the tower for spectacular views of Provincetown and the Cape.