North Breakwater Lighthouse, Duluth, Minnesota
|Edit with form|
North Breakwater Lighthouse
|Location of Structure:||Located on the North Pier or Breakwater in Canal Park.|
|Neighborhood/s:||Canal Park, Duluth, Minnesota|
|Saint Louis County, Minnesota|
|Current Function of Structure:||Lighthouse|
The Duluth lighthouse on the North Pier was the last of three to be built in the harbor. It was first illuminated on April 7, 1910. It consists of a 37-foot riveted steel tower on a steel frame, painted white, and is mounted on a concrete base. The tower is 10 feet 6 inches in diameter at the bottom, and tapers to 8 feet in diameter at the top. The lantern room is made of black cast iron and holds a Fifth Order Fresnel Lens made in 1882 by Henri LePaute of Paris. This lighthouse was added after the South Breakwater Lighthouse (1874) because of the very narrow 300-foot canal entry to the Port of Duluth. Both are still working lighthouses. The first Minnesota Point Lighthouse (1858-1885) was shut down after the South lighthouse was completed.