Minnesota Historical Society M-Flame Logo

Main Page

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search

Categories

About Placeography

Placeography is a wiki where you can share the history of and stories about a house, building, farmstead, public land, neighborhood or any place to which you have a personal connection. If you don't have a place to contribute, please enjoy learning about others.

To get started learn how to add pages then add a building.

July's Featured Place
1012-14 17th Avenue North, Minneapolis, Minnesota

The Vinzent Schuler House (1012-14 17th Avenue North) was built in 1905 by Joseph Lang Contractors at a cost of $5000 for Vincent Schuler. The architects for this property were Boehme and Cordelia. The Minneapolis city directory for 1885 shows that Vinzent (sic) Schuler first lived at “Right lower levee foot, South 4th.” He was an employee of “Heinrich B Assoc.” A Minneapolis Public Library search revealed that Vincent Schuler married Anna Rodele in 1893. In 1889, Vincent opened Schuler Shoes on the corner of Washington and Broadway Avenues. A newspaper article said that Vincent’s wife Rodele kept a diary, reporting on a day to day basis how the business was doing and what the weather was like. The Schuler House was bought by Jack and Jean Mangan in 2009 after it fell into disrepair, was vacant, boarded and condemned. The majority of the windows on the first floor were broken by vandals, and two of the doors had been seriously damaged by trespassers during its vacancy. During the 1930s, the house had been “modernized.” The downstairs cove molding had been removed from the dining room and living room. The crown molding and “eybrow” were also removed from the top of every window and door. The natural plaster ceilings were covered with square tile. The woodwork had been painted in all of the rooms on the first floor. The woodwork in the entry way, living room and dining room was painted a garish yellow-green. Jack replaced the all the crown molding, the eyebrow and the cove molding, restored the arches and once again replaced wood trim to frame them as they looked in 1905. He also restored and saved the original cabinetry in both kitchens and both bathrooms. All the brass doorknobs and escutcheons were replaced with fixtures appropriate to 1905.Jean stripped 5 layers of wall paper from many of the walls along with layers of enamel paint and plaster between the layers of wallpaper.


Help us improve
  • Many city pages need the following city information box Template:
    {{Infobox City}}


Old Highland

The area known today as the Old Highland Neighborhood was opened for settlement in 1857. During the period of the 1860s much of Old Highland was platted. A major growth of the Old Highland Neighborhood occurred during the 1880s and 1890s. This period saw large architecturally designed and contractor-built residences of distinctive period styles. The population was generally merchants who operated businesses along Washington, Plymouth, and West Broadway.


Featured Project: ARCH 5674 Class Project
U of Minnesota

ARCH 5674 Class Project
See what the students in Arthur Chen's ARCH 5674 class at the University of Minnesota have done!

Legal Guidelines
Personal tools
Contribute
[http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]