Longfellow House, 4800 Minnehaha Avenue South, Minneapolis
|Edit with form|
|Address:||4800 Minnehaha Avenue S|
|Neighborhood/s:||Minnehaha, Minneapolis, Minnesota|
|Hennepin County, Minnesota|
|Moved from Location:||4001 Minnehaha Parkway|
|First Owner:||Robert F. Jones|
|Notes:||Robert F. Jones House|
This house is a 2/3 scale replica of the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow house in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It was built for Robert F. "Fish" Jones, who operated a zoo in this location called Longfellow Gardens.
Robert F. Jones died in 1930. The Minneapolis Park Board acquired the house in 1934. The house served as a public library branch from the mid-1930's until 1968. It was moved in the mid-1990's as part of the widening of Highway 55. Now restored, it serves as an interpretive and information center for the Minneapolis Park System.
Memories and stories
The House Today
The House fell into disrepair, and during the early 1980s, it was used by the Saint Paul Jaycees as "Ghost Manor", a haunted house attraction every year at Halloween. In 1994, the expansion of Hiawatha Avenue was underway, the House was moved to its current location. In a partnership with the Minnesota Department of Transportation, the house was moved across the highway by Ernst Movers of Osseo, Minnesota and thus reconnected with Minnehaha Park from which the house had been separated. The moving process won the Department of Transportation an honorable mention by the Federal Highway Administration in the historic preservation category.