Longfellow Field, Minnehaha Avenue and East 28th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota (1911-1917)

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Longfellow Field

Longfellow Field 1912
Location of Site: Minnehaha Avenue and East 28th Street
Neighborhood/s: Longfellow, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year Established: 1911
Year Ended: 1917
Historic Function: Park
Current Function: Commercial district

Longfellow Minneapolis Hennepin County

Longfellow Field, Minnehaha Avenue and East 28th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota (1911-1917)
(44.9519763° N, 93.2346634° WLatitude: 44°57′7.115″N
Longitude: 93°14′4.788″W
)

Longfellow Field consisted of a little over four acres of land located next to the first Longfellow School. It was a very popular spot for city sports events since it was convenient to the streetcar lines. In 1917 the park board decided to sell the land to a manufacturing firm, the Minneapolis Steel and Machinery Company, for $35,000. It was subsequently moved about a mile southeast to its present location at Longfellow Park.


Contents

Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

The first Longfellow School was a 2-story, 4-room brick schoolhouse, built by Minneapolis Township in 1876. The schoolhouse at Minnehaha & Lake (north side of Lake, west of 27th Avenue) became Board of Education property when the City annexed the neighborhood in April 1883. The old building was joined by a second school built on the same site in 1886 (plus 3 extra lots purchased that year). All told, 16 rooms in 2 buildings occupied the site until 1919.

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]