Leithauser Building, 800 - 806 3rd Street East, Saint Paul, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Leithauser Building

2002 - Before Restorations
Address: 800 3rd Street E
Neighborhood/s: Dayton's Bluff, Saint Paul, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Saint Paul, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Ramsey County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1887
Primary Style: Victorian
Historic Function: Business
Current Function: Business
Builder: Matthew J. Leithauser
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick
Material of Roof: Asphalt
Material of Foundation: Limestone
First Owner: Matthew J. Leithauser

Dayton's Bluff Saint Paul Ramsey

Leithauser Building, 800 - 806 3rd Street East, Saint Paul, Minnesota
(44.956737° N, 93.066474° WLatitude: 44°57′24.253″N
Longitude: 93°3′59.306″W
)


Built in 1887 by Matthew J. Leithauser, this Victorian building was a mixed-use commercial building. Leithauser was a bricklayer of the contracting firm of Leithauser, Fortmeyer, and Hilger. Matthew and two of his brothers immigrated to St. Paul from Germany. They all lived within a few blocks of the building. Matthew J. Leithauser lived at 895 Fremont. Currently, some of the Leithauser grandchildren still live in the area.

Rehab of the 115-year old building is part of the Third and Maple Streets Gateway Project, which also includes the development of a “history park” on the triangular lot across Third Street. The building was remodeled numerous times in its 115-year life. In winter of 2002, demolition of the interior spaces was completed to prepare for the extensive rehab that will begin later this spring. The rehab will include restoring Victorian era storefronts, adding windows on the east side of the building, restoration of the brick exterior, the development of two commercial spaces on the first floor, and three apartments; 2-one bedroom, and 1-two bedroom on the second floor. The corner of the building at Maple and Third was cut off and the façade was rebuilt to allow for improvements made to Third Street in the 1930s. This gives the façade a different look as the building curves with Third Street.

The original uses of the commercial spaces were as a meat market run by George Meyer on the East side of the building and as a grocery store on the other side with apartments on the upper floors. Most recently, the building housed a neighborhood tavern and a convenience store. [1]

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]