John G. Williams House, 2601 2nd Street East, Duluth, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

John G. Williams House

John Williams House, Duluth
Address: 2601 2nd Street E
City/locality-
State/province
Duluth, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Saint Louis County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Historic Function: Single Dwellingwarning.png"Single Dwelling" is not in the list of possible values (House/single dwelling or duplex, Airport terminal, Apartments/condominiums, Auditorium/music facility, Bank/financial institution, Barn/agricultural building, Business, Capitol , City hall/town hall/, Civic, Clinic/medical office, Clubhouse, College/university, Correctional facility, Courthouse, Dancehall/reception area, Department store, Drive-in restaurant or business, Energy facility, Fire/police station, Fortification, Gas/filling station, Government office, Grain elevator, Hospital, Hotel/motel, Institutional housing, Library, Manufacturing facility, Meeting hall, Military facility, Mortuary/funeral home, Multiple dwelling, Museum, Office, Organizational, Park building, Post office, Public works, Rail-related, including depots, Ranger station, Religious/Place of worship, Religious facility, other, Resort/spa, Restaurant, Sanitarium, School, Shopping center/mall/strip mall, Secondary building/sheds, privies, Sports facility/stadium, Theater/concert hall, Warehouse/storage, Other) for this property.
Current Function: Single Dwellingwarning.png"Single Dwelling" is not in the list of possible values (House/single dwelling or duplex, Airport terminal, Apartments/condominiums, Auditorium/music facility, Bank/financial institution, Barn/agricultural building, Business, Capitol , City hall/town hall/, Civic, Clinic/medical office, Clubhouse, College/university, Correctional facility, Courthouse, Dancehall/reception area, Department store, Drive-in restaurant or business, Energy facility, Fire/police station, Fortification, Gas/filling station, Government office, Grain elevator, Hospital, Hotel/motel, Institutional housing, Library, Manufacturing facility, Meeting hall, Military facility, Mortuary/funeral home, Multiple dwelling, Museum, Office, Organizational, Park building, Post office, Public works, Rail-related, including depots, Ranger station, Religious/Place of worship, Religious facility, other, Resort/spa, Restaurant, Sanitarium, School, Shopping center/mall/strip mall, Secondary building/sheds, privies, Sports facility/stadium, Theater/concert hall, Warehouse/storage, Other) for this property.
Notes: Author Sinclair Lewis lived here.

Duluth Saint Louis

John G. Williams House, 2601 2nd Street East, Duluth, Minnesota
(46.813087,-92.067966warning.png"46.813087.-92.067966" is not a number. )


Contents

History

Sinclair Lewis, author and Nobel Prize winner, purchased this house from Dr. E.E. Webber, and lived here in the mid-1940s.

Memories and stories

Location

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Reserve Mining Company

Birth of the Mesaba Iron Company. The Mesaba Iron Company, a Minnesota corporation, (not Mesabi Iron Company) was incorporated in 1882 to acquire the 8,740 acres of Pool lands in exchange for stock.

Mineral Lands for Sale or Lease. Between 1882 and 1905, numerous attempts were made to lease, or sell outright, the mineral lands held by Mesaba Iron Company. Interested parties included John M. Longyear, James H. Bennett, Chester A. Congdon, R. B. Whiteside, E. F. Sutton, John S. Keyes, S. H. W. Eckstein, C. E. Lovett and Co., Mallman, and Belliton Mountain Iron Co.

East Mesaba Iron Company and Dunka River Iron Company. In 1905, George A. St. Clair (a mining prospector), John G. Williams (a prominent Duluth attorney), and Samuel Mitchell (a Michigan mineral landowner) formed two corporations to acquire the mineral holdings of Mesaba Iron Company. Under then existing Minnesota law, two corporations were needed because no corporation could own more than 5,000 acres. The names of the two corporations, formed to acquire the Mesaba Iron Company holdings, were East Mesaba Iron Company and Dunka River Iron Company.

E. W. Davis begins Experiments. In 1914, John G. Williams, then a regent of the University of Minnesota and one of the organizers of the two new Minnesota corporations, interested Professor Edward W. Davis, an electrical engineer on the University staff, in experimenting on and developing a process for concentrating magnetic taconite. This was to be the beginning of a life long involvement in the taconite business by Davis, ‘The Father of Taconite’.


Notes

U of M Regents Founding Years 1851-1887

John G. Williams 1912 - 1937


"The object of the University shall be to provide the inhabitants of this Territory with the means of acquiring a thorough knowledge of the various branches of Literature, Science, and the Arts. The government of this University shall be vested in a Board of twelve regents..."

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]