James Bogie House Ruins, Bogie Mill Road, Richmond, Kentucky
|Edit with form|
|Madison County, Kentucky|
Although the diamond-shaped stone inset has been removed, other details are still in place. These include the chair rails, the nineteenth-century tin-covering of the gable roof, paneled and glazed doors, and the mud plaster of the interior walls. Windows were placed on the end walls on each floor, a feature uncommon to stone houses.
Andrew Bogie’s younger brother James built this two-and-one-half story stone house around 1811. An additional section was later added to the rear. Early photographs reveal a date stone inset above the front door that was inscribed “JB OCT 18 1811.” It was one of only four date stones found on Kentucky stone houses.