Hutchinson Free Public Library, 50 Hassan Street South East, Hutchinson, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Hutchinson Free Public Library

Hutchinson Free Public Library ca.1907
Address: 50 Hassan Street SE
City/locality-
State/province
Hutchinson, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
McLeod County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Year built: 1904
Primary Style: Classical Revival
Additions: 1985: 10,000 square foot expansion – triples library space
Major Alterations: Significant Alterations
Historic Function: Library
Current Function: Library
Architect or source of design: E.S. Stebbins
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick
Material of Roof: Asphalt Shingles
Material of Foundation: Granite
First Owner: City of Hutchinson
Notes: Carnegie Grant: $12,500

Hutchinson McLeod

Hutchinson Free Public Library, 50 Hassan Street South East, Hutchinson, Minnesota
(44.8911065° N, 94.3678514° WLatitude: 44°53′27.983″N
Longitude: 94°22′4.265″W
)
National Register of Historic Places Information
Certification date: December 12, 1977
Level of significance: Local


The Hutchinson Free Public Library is one of 65 public libraries built in Minnesota with funds from Andrew Carnegie and the Carnegie Corporation. Between 1899 and 1917, Carnegie, a wealthy industrialist and philanthropist contributed close to 1 million dollars towards library construction in Minnesota. This makes Minnesota the eighth largest recipient of Carnegie Library grants in the United States.

Contents

History

On April 13, 1903 the city of Hutchinson secured $12,500 from Carnegie to build the Hutchinson Free Public Library. Plans were prepared by Minneapolis architect Edward.S Stebbins. Stebbins was born in Boston and worked in New York before arriving in Minneapolis in 1877. Stebbins designed many educational buildings in the city and was the official architect of the Minneapolis Board of Education for over ten years. Aside from school buildings he was responsible for the Gethsemane Episcopal Church in Minneapolis (1883) and the S.E. Davis residence located at 2104 Kenwood Parkway, Minneapolis(1892). The Davis house is also known as 'Mary Tyler Moore house' as the exterior was used in the popular 1970s television show.[1] The Hutchinson Free Public Library was formally dedicated and opened in June 1904.

While the Carnegie grant was used to construct the building, the Hutchinson community had to provide a suitable site and were expected to tax themselves at the annual rate of 10% of the grant amount. This requirement imposed by Carnegie ensured a long-term commitment for the purchase of books, staff costs and maintenance of the library building. Although the city's founder Asa Hutchinson had previously donated a half-lot of land for a library in 1874, this was too small for the Carnegie building. The new location was decided by a vote and was given a prominent position within Hutchinson's Public Square.[1]

The Carnegie library building continues to serve its community as the Hutchinson Public Library. In 1985 an extensive addition tripled the space of the library and in 2003 a restoration project began on the original Carnegie section.

Building Description

The Hutchinson Free Public Library (now called Hutchinson Public Library) is a one storey Classical Revival style building with a raised basement defined by a stone water table. The building is faced with buff-colored brick and trimmed with Kasota limestone. The combination gabled and hip roof is covered with asphalt shingles and features ornamental crested ridges. The main facade consists of five bays with the projecting central entrance dominated by a full pediment supported by free-standing Doric columns. Classical architectural elements are also evident in the Roman Doric pilasters located at each corner of the building and in the semi-circular rounded arch windows. The symmetrical temple-like facade is a common characteristic of Carnegie Library design. Some interior features such as original shelving and decorative woodwork are still intact.[1]

In 1985 a large addition added 10,000 square foot to the original Carnegie building. The addition included two wings positioned at either side of the existing library and a new main entrance located at the east side along Hassan Street. The 1985 expansion was designed by Hutchinson architectural firm Korngiebel Architects. The contractor was E.J Pinske Builders Inc, of Gaylord. In 2003 the original Carnegie library section was the focus of a restoration project.

Memories and stories

Badges

65}px This place is part of the
Minnesota Carnegie Libraries Tour

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Edward Stebbins files at the Northwest Architectural Archives

City of Hutchinson – Congratulations on 100 years

Notes

    Views
    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]
    Other
    Toolbox