Hume House / Holly Hill, Kentucky Route 52, Richmond, Kentucky
|Edit with form|
|Madison County, Kentucky|
Interior end chimney stacks project high above the roof. Stone lintels are present over each bay, including the double-leaf entrance. The sash windows are single-light, tall, and narrow. To the rear and side, a two-story gallery connects a two-story brick ell to the main block. Located on Silver Creek, Holly Hill includes four outbuildings and an abundance of large shade trees.
Holly Hill was built for William Stanton Hume 1832-1895), owner of the county’s largest distillery and a prominent resident, after he had an earlier brick structure on the site demolished. (MANW-5) The two-story brick residence was originally Italianate in style with asymmetrical massing and a one-story porch. The low hipped roof with overhanging eaves and projecting bays is now dominated by twentieth-century two-story portico having tall square columns that support a classical entablature. This was added when the house was the residence of Thomas E. Baldwin (1890-1951).