Horatio and Charlotte Van Cleve House, 603 5th Street, Southeast, Minneapolis, Minnesota
|Edit with form|
Horatio and Charlotte Van Cleve House
|Address:||603 5th Street SE|
|Neighborhood/s:||Marcy-Holmes, Minneapolis, Minnesota|
|Hennepin County, Minnesota|
|Primary Style:||Greek Revival|
|Additions:||1858 addition (porch) ca. 1900|
|Historic Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Material of Exterior Wall Covering:||Wood|
|First Owner:||William Kimball|
|National Register of Historic Places Information|
Although it was built for a furniture manufacturer named William Kimball, this house is chiefly associated with its second owners--Horatio and Charlotte Van Cleve. He was known for his military exploits, serving as a colonel and later as a general in the Civil War. She was a suffrage advocate, the first woman elected to the Minneapolis School Board, and the mother of 12 children. She was also a social reformer who in 1875 founded an organization to help "erring women," of which there appears to have been no shortage at the time.
Their house, renovated into two condominiums in 1988 is a Greek Revival-Italianate hybrid.
Built in 1858 by William Kimball, a New Hampshire furniture merchant, who settled in St. Anthony in 1854 along with his brother-in-law Luther G. Johnson...
In 1861 Horatio was summoned by Governor Alexander Ramsey to serve as colonel of the second regiment of Minnesota Volunteers. After Horatio left for the south, Charlotte moved the family to St. Anthony, living for a time on University Avenue. In 1863 she purchased William Kimball's Fifth Street house, which included two quarter acre lots and a barn, for twenty-six hundred dollars.
The Van Cleve house is a combination of Greek and Italianate Revival. It is Greek Revival in its shape, symmetrical design, and classical pilasters at the corners, but the bracketed eaves and paired doors on the porch are Italianate. The entry porch, rebuilt in Craftsman type style was originally enclosed.
In the winter of 1862, Horatio was wounded in the knee at the Battle of Stone River, Tennessee. His horse, Bessie, received a shoulder wound from the same bullet. Both recovered from their injuries. After Bessie carried Horatio through the rest of the war, she became Charlotte's carriage horse and a favorite of the Van Cleve children. When Bessie died at age twenty, she was buried near the no longer extant barn behind the Van Cleve house. According to local legend, the grieving Van Cleve children decorated her grave with wreaths and carrots.
Van Cleve Park at Fifteenth and Rollins Avenue SE was named after Horatio in 1891.Charlotte O. Van Cleve school built in 1895 was once at the corner of Lowry Avenue and Jefferson Street North East.