Minnesota Historical Society M-Flame Logo

Historic Jewish St. Louis Park Tour

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Historic Jewish St. Louis Park Tour

City/locality-
State/province
St. Louis Park, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Tour Created by: Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest

St. Louis Park Hennepin County, Minnesota County Minnesota

Historic Jewish St. Louis Park Tour
(44.9483333° N, 93.3480556° WLatitude: 44°56′54″N
Longitude: 93°20′53″W
)

From the North Side to St. Louis Park

After World War II the North Side experienced the same vicissitudes as many urban Jewish communities nationwide: movement to the suburbs and urban unrest. By 1958, a Minneapolis Jewish Federation study found that while 38 percent of Minneapolis’s roughly twenty-three thousand Jews still inhabited the North Side, that figure was down from the 1937 high of 66 percent. The nearby Minneapolis suburb of St. Louis Park now housed 28 percent of the city’s Jews, and an equal percentage lived in South Minneapolis. In 1959 Beth El synagogue purchased land in St. Louis Park after a study commissioned by the congregation found that one-third of its member families with young children already lived in that suburb; the first structure on this new property, an activity center, opened in 1963. In December 1965 a meeting was held at Beth El during which its congregants voted 250 to 9 in favor of relocating the synagogue entirely to St. Louis Park. The new edifice was completed in 1970.

We Knew Who We Were: Memories of the Minneapolis Jewish North Side DVD


# Street
B'nai Emet (Abraham) Synagogue, 3115 Ottawa Avenue South, Saint Louis Park, Minnesota 31153,115 Ottawa Avenue S
Beth El Synagogue, 5224 West 26th Street, Saint Louis Park, Minnesota 52245,224 26th Street W



Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]