Hedgeland, Kentucky Highway 52, Richmond, Kentucky
|Edit with form|
|Madison County, Kentucky|
The later, two-story portion of Hedgeland contains exterior gable chimneys and has a symmerical five-bay facade laid in Flemish bond. A flat-roofed single-portico encloses the central doorway. Sidelights and a six-light transom frame the door. Paired columns support the entablature below the portico’s roofline, while a balustrade leads the eye rom the doorway to the steps. The basement, which has sash windows, is exposed below the raised first floor. A wide passageway, flanked on either side by spacious rooms, runs through the center of the two-story portion.
Hedgeland combines the Federal and Greek Revival styles. A one-story brick structure with the primary facade laid in Flemish bond comprises the original section. This earlier portion of the house rests on a stone foundation. Three bays on the front facade, a central door, two exterior-end chimneys, and a molded brick cornice under the waves are the dominant features.
Joseph Miller (b. 1795), the son of Col. John Miller, the founder of Richmond, was the first owner of the oldest part of this brick dwelling. In 1850 John Harrison Miller (1810-1862), who was then owner, added a two-story single-pile passage portion to the original single-story hall/parlor house.