Hamm Building, 408 Saint Peter Street, Saint Paul, Minnesota
|Edit with form|
|Address:||408 Saint Peter Street|
|Neighborhood/s:||Downtown, Saint Paul, Minnesota|
|Saint Paul, Minnesota|
|Ramsey County, Minnesota|
|Historic Function:||Movie Theater|
|Other Historic Function:||Movie Theater|
|Material of Exterior Wall Covering:||Concrete|
|Material of Roof:||Asphalt|
The Hamm Building is a 1915 limestone, terra cotta, and brick commercial building in Saint Paul, Minnesota; its ornamentation is exceptional. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Being in the heart of Saint Paul's theatre district, the Capitol Theatre was built into the Hamm building in 1920. It was the largest, most costly, and most elaborate movie palace in the Upper Midwest.
Fronted by the St. Paul Recreation Company - a billiard room, cigar stand, gym, boxing ring, and bowling alley - the basement of this Chicago-styled building housed one of the city's biggest illegal gambling operations. The gambling dens have long been converted into offices.
Memories and stories