Grand Hotel, 210 N. Minnesota Street, New Ulm, Minnesota
|Edit with form|
|Address:||210 Minnesota Street N|
|Neighborhood/s:||Downtown Historic District, New Ulm, Minnesota|
|New Ulm, Minnesota|
|Brown County, Minnesota|
|Additions:||A third floor was added in 1899.|
|Current Function:||Arts and cultural center|
|Architect or source of design:||Julius Berndt|
|Material of Exterior Wall Covering:||Brick|
|Material of Foundation:||Stone|
|First Owner:||Phillip Gross|
|National Register of Historic Places Information|
In 1856, Phillip Gross opened a hotel in a two-story wood frame building called the Minnesota Haus, which became the Union Hotel in 1860. The hotel soon became a focal point of activity in New Ulm, including serving as a hospital during the Dakota Conflict of 1862. Business flourished for the Union Hotel, which served travelers until July 1875 when it was destroyed by fire. Gross immediately built a new two-story brick hotel. He hired architect Julius Berndt, best known for the Hermann Monument, to design his new hotel.
Gross operated the Union Hotel until retiring in 1885; his son-in-law then managed the property for a short time. In 1899 Peter Manderfeld, the new owner of the Union Hotel, added a third floor, and changed the name to the Grand Hotel.It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.