Glenwood Public Library, 108 1st Avenue South East, Glenwood, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Glenwood Public Library

Glenwood Public Library ca.1910
Address: 108 1st Avenue SE
City/locality-
State/province
Glenwood, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Pope County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Year built: 1908
Primary Style: Classical Revival
Historic Function: Library
Current Function: Library
Architect or source of design: A.S. Foss
Builder: J.H. Olson
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick
Material of Foundation: Concrete
First Owner: City of Glenwood
Notes: Carnegie Grant: $10,000

Glenwood Pope

Glenwood Public Library, 108 1st Avenue South East, Glenwood, Minnesota
(45.6493206° N, 95.3881866° WLatitude: 45°38′57.554″N
Longitude: 95°23′17.472″W
)
National Register of Historic Places Information
Certification date: April 1, 1982
Level of significance: Local


The Glenwood Public Library is one of 65 public libraries built in Minnesota with funds from Andrew Carnegie and the Carnegie Corporation. Between 1899 and 1917, Carnegie, a wealthy industrialist and philanthropist contributed close to 1 million dollars towards library construction in Minnesota. This makes Minnesota the eighth largest recipient of Carnegie Library grants in the United States.

Contents

History

On May 2, 1907 the village of Glenwood secured $10,000 from Carnegie to build the Glenwood Public Library. Plans were prepared by Elbow Lake architect Mr. A.S. Foss and the contractor was Mr. J.H. Olson. The Glenwood Public Library was officially opened to the public on August 1, 1908 and the first librarian to serve in the Carnegie building was Mr. Fred Calmeyer.

While the Carnegie grant was used to construct the building, the Glenwood community had to provide a suitable site and were expected to tax themselves at the annual rate of 10% of the grant amount. This requirement imposed by Carnegie ensured a long-term commitment for the purchase of books, staff costs and maintenance of the library building.

The Carnegie building continues to function as the Glenwood Public Library and remains an important building in the community for its historical and civic significance.

Building Description

The Glenwood Public Library is a one storey Classical Revival style building with a raised concrete basement defined by a water table. The building is faced with a light-colored brick and covered with a hipped roof. The main facade consists of rectangular windows and a central projecting bay. The pedimented portico features a recessed entrance with the words 'Carnegie' over the door and two concrete Doric columns. Other Classical-style detailing includes the dentilled cornice and wide frieze, and three decorative acanthus leaves atop the pediment. The words 'Glenwood Public Library' are also inscribed upon the frieze.

At some point a small rear addition was constructed at the east side of the building, and the library continues to successfully function in the same capacity for which it was originally built – as the Glenwood Public Library. [1]

Memories and stories

Badges

65}px This place is part of the
Minnesota Carnegie Libraries Tour

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Views
    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]
    Other
    Toolbox